Nose cone, good or bad idea.

Notices

Nose cone, good or bad idea.

Old 08-18-2007, 04:00 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nose cone, good or bad idea.

I have heard that they can slow ya down in some app's, under a certain mph but help if running better then a certain mph, I am running in the 70's with this boat now, was just wonder if at this point a cone would benifit me.

Thanks John
Old 08-18-2007, 04:39 PM
Registered

Most likely a nose cone wont do anything for you unless your running over 80 mph and or experiancing blow out or loosing bite on the water at reasonable trim levels.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

70's No
80's Maybe
90's Yes
Old 08-19-2007, 01:28 AM
Registered

Wait till you add that supercharger. I seriously looked at a Hydromotive nose cone, prior to my Imcos. I was told just what zt260 said. I also think there is an art to properly getting the nose cone attached and blended. I have seen some that didn't turn out.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:35 AM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Ok. I am losing bite it seems when bringing the drive up, the boat keeps pulling, then loses bite, so I think I might take a gamble and try it next spring.. Thanks for the info..
John
Old 08-20-2007, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At less than 80mph a drive spacer would be a simpler approach. Many people lose speed and see the drive dart or chine walk. Not to mention spacers can be easily added and removed. Nose cones can’t. If you’re set on trying it, I would look to borrow an imco lower from someone rather than alter yours. Good Luck
Old 08-20-2007, 05:01 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I would look at your slip numbers at WOT to determine the need for nose cones/spacers. My situation was 80 mph 11% slip. Went from 500 hps to 600 hp motors, speed went to 86 mph at 16% slip. Boat was very insensitive to trim and also different props did not make a difference i.e. labbed vs. non-labbed. Tried 1" drive spacers that did not help slip. Put on nose cones (pointy kind) from Teague, slip went to 9.5% at 91 mph.

See the Thunderstruck goes 90 mph in the Active Thunder section for more info.

Talk to Throttleup and the parts guys at Teague Marine. They were very helpful.

Tom
Old 08-20-2007, 06:06 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Quick question.

How do I determine the slippage on the props?

I just ran a set of hydros and it's slower then my Bravos. Bravos are 24" P Hydros were 25" P and the speed with the hydros were actually lower. Harder to get up on plnane as well, so I think it's a higher slipage.
How do I test this??

Thx

p
Old 08-20-2007, 06:37 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

How would I go about finding the slip numbers, Julie at throttle up is prolly tired of me asking questions about this thing. This seems to be the right prop 30p bravo, is the one that was recomended to me from them, It doesn't feel like it is slipping very much compared to the other ones i have tried, from what she came up with my mph should be 80ish with about 16% slip in this thing. It isn't quite there but 75gps.I might have to try a labbed 32p. Also I am running a alpha1 drive, do they even make spacers for them? There is more left in this thing just need to fine tune. Chine walking all day. What do I do to eliminate slip? Thanks for any and all input guys..

John
Old 08-20-2007, 07:01 PM
Registered

You can use this page to calculate your slip, use a GPS to get the actual speed and a tachometer that you know for sure gives the correct reading. http://www.go-fast.com/Prop_Slip_Calculator.htm Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Nose cone, good or bad idea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.