water pick up in 31 AO

Notices

water pick up in 31 AO

Old 08-21-2007, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water pick up in 31 AO

I asked the same ?? on the awesome forums - I know there are way more 31 AO owners soo.....
Just curious as to other 31 owners, does your boat pick up water from the drive or water pick-ups under the boat like mine. I have newer style bravo drive that have the front low water pickup & side water inlets that are not being used. (block off plate) I'm thinking of filling in the holes under the boat over the winter when I do my repower. I would think they would scrub a little speed. Does the bravo drive provide sufficient water flow over 100 MPH?

Last edited by Ran-Dom 32; 08-22-2007 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:26 PM
Registered

I think most use drive pickups. Miine has low water pickups and I don't have any problems, part of this is because the drives are so deep in the water on a stock setup.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I measured prop shaft to be approximately 2 1/2 lower than the bottom of the boat. Seams a bit to deep for optimal top speed.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:28 AM
Registered

Congrats on the new boat... I new you couldn't stay away for long! New power all ready? What are you running now?

Don Shunk (chromecat) would be a great contact to pm. He is very knowledgeable and has a 100+ 31' AO.

Great boat, thought about one myself...tell Danielle T and I said hi.

Zack
Old 08-22-2007, 10:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by razor1115
Congrats on the new boat... I new you couldn't stay away for long! New power all ready? What are you running now?

Don Shunk (chromecat) would be a great contact to pm. He is very knowledgeable and has a 100+ 31' AO.

Great boat, thought about one myself...tell Danielle T and I said hi.

Zack
Hey, Zack
you were right about going with out a boat, being right on the water & all,

It's was exactly what I was looking for, A project to keep me busy, I've done complete interior, inside & out, complete new dash, & all kinds of other little things,
Now I will be building similar engines to yours, with the exception of aluminum heads. 600-650 range
I have been running it with the current engines (454's) kinda slow but it gets me out there.
How's my Fountain?? Are you going to LOTO?
I can't make it this year (no bouncing around for Danielle)
Later,
Old 08-22-2007, 02:35 PM
Registered

"Your" Fountain is doing great! lol I just pulled it out of drystack last night to clean up for LOTO. I rebuilt the trailer bunks as some we starting to "let go."

The AO sounds like an awesome project ahead of you... AND, CONGRADULATIONS to you and Danielle. Thought we might see you two this weekend, have a few drinks; but, I totally understand why.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

have some drinks for me, My cousin & my brother left last night, - I'm jealous - oh well next year for sure, already have a sitter lined up. btw my new boat is actually a 31 Awesome Cat
Old 08-22-2007, 07:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

yes 2.5 inches is two low if you are using 4 blade bravo 1 props. the prop shaft should be 1.5 inches below the sponsons with no stand off boxes and the bravo low water pickups will work. if the drives are raised any further you will need offshore pickups mounted on the transome.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:23 PM
Registered

Leave the thru hull pickups, they are needed if you run a high x-dimension...you are too deep for speed at -2.5in. make sure you have a relief valve on the strainer that pops off if your water pressure spikes. Once a thru hull system is set up you can put drives wherever you want, many use the old drive pickup to plumb cool water to their Bravo shower. Good luck.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:29 PM
Registered

we use our thru hulls for the engine and low water pickups for chillers

Quick Reply: water pick up in 31 AO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.