Trim plate moving way too fast >

Trim plate moving way too fast

Notices

Trim plate moving way too fast

Old 09-06-2007, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trim plate moving way too fast

Or is the other one slow? Whatever it is, the port trim plate moves so fast I can only just bump the trim switch....or else I get way too much plate movement.

I would say that from fully up to fully down takes about 3 seconds.

I have had both trim pumps completely apart fixing stuff, and may have done something wrong with the port pump. Is there anything I could have done that might cause this high speed operation?

I am using ATF in both pumps, they are the metal can reservoir units.

Thanks for any advice!

Greg
Old 09-07-2007, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you do the drive pumps at the same time? If you did maybe you mistakenly put the drive pump in for the K-plane? The metal can can be put on in place of the plastic and it would be hard to tell the difference, but there is a difference. There are 3 different rate pumps available and those are available in different pressure settings. The slowest pumps are the k-plane and competition pumps, the latest Merc Racing outboard and nxt drives use the middle rate pump, and the Bravo uses the fastest rate. Mechanically the length of the pump body and rotors are longer, they turn at the same rpm. I don't think you can tell externally, unless you just check the pressure on the up/out marked side of the pump. The Bravo should be in the neighborhood of 2400psi, the k-plane (not competition) would be closer to 1800psi. Those numbers are off the top of my head, but are in the ballpark.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure your lines are not crossed too. There is a high pressure and a low pressure side, "out" is high "in" is low.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will check the in/out fittings and make sure I have those on correctly, good suggestion.

Also, while I have worked on all 4 pumps, I only did so one at a time, so parts mixing did not occur.

I might just pull the pump apart again and be sure I got it back together properly.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Greg