Fitting on lower maniflod????? >

Fitting on lower maniflod?????

Notices

Fitting on lower maniflod?????

Old 09-16-2007, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting on lower maniflod?????

What is the function of the "T" check ball fitting located on the lower side of the exhaust manifolds and what causes it to rattle/chatter?? There are two hose's running to it, one from the heat exchanger and the other t's into the outlet hose on the seawater pump. Now the reason I ask is as most know I am trying to solve an o-heating condition on the port motor of my 2003 outlaw with 496 mags. One difference I see/feel is the check balls seem to rattle/chatter on the port motor which I can feel in the hose's as well as hear, now the starboard motor they do not make any noise. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff
Old 09-16-2007, 10:47 PM
Registered

At high RPM those balls run open running more water through the housing. At idle they're mosltly or all closed, bypassing that port. If they are worn, thay can be replaced or better yet, turned around so that the not worn side is against the housing. I doubt those little plastic balls are making any rattle. If they are, there is a spring pushing against them, stretch it.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:21 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had some of those chech balls get stuck inside the fitting and they dont flow any water. Also have had guys that dont flush out there engines and the fittings get clogged up with salt and no water flows at all. If you suspect there stuck take a small hammer and tap the fitting to see if you can loosen it. Notice I said TAP, not HIT HARD!
Old 09-17-2007, 06:08 PM
Registered

The port motor check valves are loose already and rattling around where as the starboard motor they don't rattle. My o-heating problem is with the port motor. My question is why do the ones on the port motor rattle and the starboard ones do not?? Does that mean I am sucking air somwhere on the port motor causeing them to rattle?? Or something else??

Originally Posted by Pwrbt33
I have had some of those chech balls get stuck inside the fitting and they dont flow any water. Also have had guys that dont flush out there engines and the fittings get clogged up with salt and no water flows at all. If you suspect there stuck take a small hammer and tap the fitting to see if you can loosen it. Notice I said TAP, not HIT HARD!