Notices

Pre Lubers

Old 09-17-2007, 01:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre Lubers

I recently purchased two Masterlube Industries pre lubers for my boat. They seem a very logical addition to me. If they are as great as I believe them to be, why don't more people use them ? Why not everyone ? They're not really expensive. I also use Alysin oil. No one on this board seems to be familiar with it at all. All the piston aviation guys know the name well.

Just curious for input.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

kind of interested in prelube myself; always my understanding that a disproportionate of wear occurs in the first several seconds of start up; more of an issue in boats that aren't usually fired up every day (Florida boaters excluded). let us know how it works out. -jeff
Old 09-17-2007, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i believe that they dont hurt anything and do help. i've installed more than my gfare share.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:18 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

I went with an electric Pre-Luber. I figured I may as well go electric for its versatility to be used as a pre-luber as well as an oil changer. This pump will empty my 12 quart pan in no time. Beats the hell out of sucking the oil out.
Attached Thumbnails Pre Lubers-opt-filter-head.jpg  

Last edited by Vinny P; 09-17-2007 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:21 PM
Banned
Gold Member

I have the standard accumulator tank style. I think it works. I know I store about 60 PSI when I shut it down. Has to go somewhere when I turn it on right?
Attached Thumbnails Pre Lubers-oil-1.jpg   Pre Lubers-oil.jpg  
Old 09-17-2007, 10:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I`ve always wanted to install a pre-luber, but have never stepped up and done it. I think for me, it`s probably the cost that`s held me back. They are about $250 right ? I can always think of other things to spend $250 on ...
Old 09-17-2007, 11:07 PM
Registered

I have built many, many engines over the years and have always wondered about pre-lubers. The fact I l always come to though, is that I have had absolutely no problems relating to lubrication issues ever. If an engine is properly blueprinted, I see no advantage to a preluber set up. I have torn engines down after years and years of service to do HP upgrades and have yet seen a problem in my case related to oiling. imho.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:46 AM
Registered

Default Pre Lubers

ghittner I see no reason whatsoever to doubt you in any way. However, I still believe in the basic concept of pre lubrication. I don't know what the typical engine build you do is. I believe most boaters don't need maximum output 100% of the time. Most go for long term reliability. I believe pre lubrication will aid in achieving that goal.

It would be difficult for anyone to prove to me that having oil everywhere in my motors prior to turning them over even once is not a good thing.

Last edited by deboatmon; 09-18-2007 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:45 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats another misconception. People think that when they prelube that ALL internal parts have oil. Not so. The motor would actually need to be spun over while prelubing in order to have oil threw the crank, up to the cam bearings threw the lifers then pushrods and rocker arms while bleeding off at the timing chain and clearances. The preluber is designed to make sure the oiling system is full and the crank has oil at start up.

But I do use them!
Attached Thumbnails Pre Lubers-maximus-imco-lwr-022.jpg   Pre Lubers-maximus-imco-lwr-024.jpg   Pre Lubers-maximus-imco-lwr-012.jpg  

Old 09-19-2007, 07:19 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I bought my boat with them already installed. A couple people have told me to remove them. Since they are there I use them, but I don't think I ever would have installed them.

Quick Reply: Pre Lubers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.