Whipple reliability???????? >

Whipple reliability????????

Notices

Whipple reliability????????

Old 09-19-2007, 06:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whipple reliability????????

I just bought a 1999 Checkmate Convincor with a 454 and a Whipple side mount on it (it is currently a Jasper reman) The owner blew a head gasket on the original engine after 200 hours and got water in one cylinder and broke a connecting rod.
The new engine has about 75 hours on it and it burned a valve last year on a speed run (78 mph on GPS according to owner). I tend to think there is either a fueling problem (pump or even octane) or the programming is too agressive from Whipple.He has not run it hard since the valve job. The engine currently runs excellent but I am a little nervous about taking it over 4k rpm. Is there software/hardware available to tweak the ECU (already modded by Whipple)? Does anyone run these things at 5000 rpm or above for any length of time?
I am familiar with forced induction automobile engines but we are only wringing them out for short bursts.
Thanks,
Bill
Old 09-19-2007, 10:15 AM
Registered

Find a dealer to work with, or call Dunstin him self at Whipple and expalin exactly what engine you have. Then, if I was you, I'd send the computer to Whipple to make sure it is calibrated the way it should be.

As for reliability, you are buying a used boat with a used engine that has been modified. Reliability is hard for us online to say one way or the other.

I am new to the Whipple product this year, and can't say enough about it. For what thats worth.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Canada Jeff
Find a dealer to work with, or call Dunstin him self at Whipple and expalin exactly what engine you have. Then, if I was you, I'd send the computer to Whipple to make sure it is calibrated the way it should be.

As for reliability, you are buying a used boat with a used engine that has been modified. Reliability is hard for us online to say one way or the other.

I am new to the Whipple product this year, and can't say enough about it. For what thats worth.

My reliability question was in regards to whether or not there are guys out there running a Whipple at 5000 rpms for any length of time and surviving. Do you keep yours pinned for extended periods with no issue?
Thanks
Old 09-19-2007, 10:53 AM
Registered

I have held her open for say 30 seconds at a time. Then pull back, cause I am infront of who I wanted to be :-) . Mine will turn up to 5500 pushing 6 lbs.

Are you concerned about the engine or the blower itself?
Old 09-19-2007, 11:12 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EightSecv6
My reliability question was in regards to whether or not there are guys out there running a Whipple at 5000 rpms for any length of time and surviving. Do you keep yours pinned for extended periods with no issue?
Thanks

All depends on the internals of the motor. I have a 540 with a whipple and run 4500rpm for extended periods. WOT is 5600 rpm @ 5lbs of boost. I hold it open for short bursts only. Not too many blower motors will be reliable running WOT for extended periods. I'd be more concerned with that Jasper motor!
Old 09-19-2007, 11:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Canada Jeff
I have held her open for say 30 seconds at a time. Then pull back, cause I am infront of who I wanted to be :-) . Mine will turn up to 5500 pushing 6 lbs.

Are you concerned about the engine or the blower itself?
Concerned about the blower causing an engine failure due to aggressive tuning or a lean mixture as well as the heat it creates even with ah intercooler that would promote detonation.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have run mine for minuites at a time at 5400 rpm for an entire season & have had zero problems with it. I run fresh, dedicated water to the coolers. Meaning that the water from the coolers never went thru the engine, either on the inlet side or the exit side.
The key is in the coolers & the programing.
If you have the add on Whipple injectors, you need to get rid of them & go to a better setup. Not only that, if you are running the stock fuel system, that should go also.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pure Energy
All depends on the internals of the motor. I have a 540 with a whipple and run 4500rpm for extended periods. WOT is 5600 rpm @ 5lbs of boost. I hold it open for short bursts only. Not too many blower motors will be reliable running WOT for extended periods. I'd be more concerned with that Jasper motor!
I know sooner or later the engine will give out. The boat will cruise at 4000 without much issue but the temtation is there to keep pushing it and for longer periods. Thanks for the input.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by JasonSmith
I have run mine for minuites at a time at 5400 rpm for an entire season & have had zero problems with it. I run fresh, dedicated water to the coolers. Meaning that the water from the coolers never went thru the engine, either on the inlet side or the exit side.
If you have the add on Whipple injectors, you need to get rid of them & go to a better setup. Not only that, if you are running the stock fuel system, that should go also.
Do you use an electric circulation pump for the intercooler?
Old 09-19-2007, 01:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JasonSmith
Mine is set up the same, the drive feeds the cooler only. The presure from the drive creats more than enough flow for the cooler. Engine feeds from a transom mounted water pickup that was instaled with the kit. This is now what Whipple now recomends. No water to the cooler when ideling, but the cooler isn't needed at that rpm. Also, the cooler will never see any sand cause when water is flowing to the cooler, I'm on plane. Not milling around a beach looking for a spot to anchor.

Quick Reply: Whipple reliability????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.