Hull crack-HELP >

Hull crack-HELP

Notices

Hull crack-HELP

Old 10-11-2007, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hull crack-HELP

okay I dont know who to ask on here yet but I'm thinking Glass Dave might be the one, problem.... formula 223LS its a 1987 and its been getting water in the hull under the step into cabin, today I figured out why! Crack in the effin hull. I have a crack about 16-18 inches long in the very bottom of the V hull right under where step is and its dripping water!. Can this be fixed? and who do I talk to on this forum? I'm going to try and attach pics any help you can give is appreciated-Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Hull crack-HELP-0011.jpg   Hull crack-HELP-0012.jpg  
Old 10-11-2007, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, any fiberglass can be fixed. For such a high stressed area, I would let the pros handle it.

Darrell.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that needs to completly dry inside and out , easy fix , no need to worry just make sure its DRY id shake the boat on the trailer and listen for trapped water within the hull also before you fix it
Old 10-12-2007, 04:04 AM
Registered

I'm no professional on this matter but I do know that my old Outlaw had water in places I couldn't even get to. I ended up drilling holes in the stringers to get it out. It was in the area right around where the cuddy door was set.

I just thought I would let you know that it is possible for water to get trapped in places that are almost impossible to get to. I hope all goes well for you. Like the guys above said, just make sure you get all the water out and the hull dry.

Chuck

Last edited by CAPTAIN CHUCK; 10-12-2007 at 04:09 AM.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:54 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Without seeing it I would suppose this will need fixed from the inside out. Plan on removing the floor for inspection. Once you have it tore down should be and easy fix.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:44 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The floor doesnt always need to get out depending on the actual size of the damage & what needs repairing..

The crack is fixable. It must be properly ground out & dried before it can properly be built back up with the proper resin & matting/cloth.. Depending on what you are going to do for a top coat you could also have epoxy used which is stronger. We do those type of repairs & I wouldnt worry about it being repaired as long as it is done right. Sometimes the repair depending on what is used & how it is done can actually be stronger than the rest of the surrounding area. If it is something that you dont feel comfy doing & want us to get into feel free to call me.. You can see some of the glass work we have done in the past on my website's fiberglass page. www.lakesiderestorations.com

Jamie / Lakeside
Old 10-12-2007, 09:08 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd almost bet you had water trapped and it froze during the winter. Very unusual for a Formula to crack down the keel during normal use. A moisture meter is an absolute necessity for your fiberglass repair technician BEFORE he seals up your hull. Good Luck with this.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Older Formulas are known to trap water under the step anyway, even with no other issues, I think it is coincidence that the crack is in the same spot.
The wayer under the step is usually a leaky windshield in that style Formula.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 132 Likes on 46 Posts

You may have hit a partially submerged log, lots of those drive wreckers and hull crackers floating down the river.
A friend of mine did the same thing.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:13 AM
Go Big or Go Home
Platinum Member

I have a customer with a 1984 223ls the plywood floor in the cuddy rotted out and was the only thing supporting the thin chopper gun hull. it flexed so much that the gel cote cracked off of the glass in a couple areas. In this case the carpet and rotten wood had to be pulled up. Once cleaned up several layers of duo will reinforce the inside of the hull and the out side will be glassed filled and fared. check this area out before going any further.