Bellows question >

Bellows question

Notices

Bellows question

Old 10-19-2007, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Bellows question

Iam replacing the Bellows on my boat.2000 bravo 1 with a 7.4mpi.
do i need to use glue on the new bellows and what kind?
is there a special tool to crimp the shift cable bellow crimp clamp? or can I use pliers?
When the factory installed my exhaust bellow they cut it in half and only installed the part that clamps on the bell housning,the new exhaust bellow I got is long enough to get clamped on both ends,whats the correct way of doing it?do I cut it in half and do what the factory did or do I fight with it and install it without citting it and clamping doth ends?

thanks
Old 10-19-2007, 09:35 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use contact glue, and pliers. Tried a different sealer and it didn't work, had to do it again!
Old 10-19-2007, 09:37 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

I've replaced 3 bellows this year for friends...ive only smeared a light coating of silicone around the edges for my own peace of mind to keep it from leaking but the hose clamps should seal everything up.

Im sure there probably is a special tool for it...but i just used a small hose clamp on the big end of the shift cable boot and a thick zip tie on the small end....again with a dab of silicone for peace of mind....so far this year no problems and one of them sits in the water 24/7

As far as the exhaust.....i think only one end actually gets attached if its not the crinkled tube style.....and the drive side slides into the bellows when the drive is in the down position....as far as cutting it...i dont think it realy matters as its only for directing the gas through the drive...so if you cut it to make things easier its not realy gonna hurt your performance if some exhaust leaks out and around the bellows...

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!