Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Any thoughts here on how to clean the clear plastic on todays vehicle headlights >

Any thoughts here on how to clean the clear plastic on todays vehicle headlights

Notices

Any thoughts here on how to clean the clear plastic on todays vehicle headlights

Old 10-29-2007, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any thoughts here on how to clean the clear plastic on todays vehicle headlights

thought someone on here would have a trick to clean the clear lens on todays vehicle headlights as they get foggish, and yellowish. etc .....

Thanks
Old 10-29-2007, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

I use NOVUS plastic polish on my Jeep's soft windows to remove scratches. I've also used it on headlights and it works pretty well at cleaning them up. It's a 3 step system and can be bought online. Do a search on it.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:05 PM
Registered

FITZ and a buffer is the way to go.
i did the lights from my stang like i was polishing alum on the bench grinder
Old 10-30-2007, 03:42 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan00TJ
I use NOVUS plastic polish on my Jeep's soft windows to remove scratches. I've also used it on headlights and it works pretty well at cleaning them up. It's a 3 step system and can be bought online. Do a search on it.
Yep, Novus plastic polish. I started with the heavy cut to get most of the yellow off, then used the med to finish it off. Looked brand new when done and only took a few minutes doing by hand. Available at any plastic supplier, possibly even Lowes, hardware stores or such.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:42 PM
Registered

I usually just machine glaze them...
Old 11-01-2007, 01:50 PM
Registered

I bought a kit from Napa that was designed for renewing the clear lenses on vehicles. It worker great! Not buffing, just clean and then wipe on this chemical, let dry, and the cover looks good as new. I used it on a 03 or 04 Lexus ES300 .
Old 11-01-2007, 02:43 PM
Registered

Some of them get so crazed and hazy down here that we've had to wet sand the 'crusty' areas first with 600 grit to get to good plastic, and then polish them. There are quite a few good products (as mentioned) out there that will do job of polishing them after that.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I usually wet sand them and use super duty compound, then polish, all with a buffer.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:22 PM
Registered

The best way is to clean them really good with soap and water to remove all the dirt. Use 2 inch tape and out line the lights so you don't sand the grill, hood, fenders, and bumber. Then wet sand them starting with 800 grit sand paper then stepping the sand paper grit to 1500. Making sure the sand paper is very clean, it helps to put a few drops of soap in your water bucket to keep the sand paper from clogging up and cutting better. Clean the lights again and dry them off. Then with a high speed buffer buff them out using a heavy duty rubbing compond. Then clean them off again and buff then again using a finer compond. Finish up with a finishing polish. (non abrasive). Then you will have clear headlights again. Take your time and work as clean as you can. If you drop the sand paper clean it off very, very good or toss it and get a new piece. Its very easy to do with great results but you have to follow the steps.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks, I just bought some NOVUS off e-bay. Great price.

Quick Reply: Any thoughts here on how to clean the clear plastic on todays vehicle headlights

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.