Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Pics of homemade winterizing contraptions/MacGyver'isms... >

Pics of homemade winterizing contraptions/MacGyver'isms...

Notices

Pics of homemade winterizing contraptions/MacGyver'isms...

Old 11-12-2007, 05:34 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics of homemade winterizing contraptions/MacGyver'isms...

I've seen it posted on here beofre. Things like a five gallon bucket with a spicket and hose from parts bought at Home Depot or leftovers from the ole tool shed out back, for flushing motors with anti-freeze etc. and any other gizmo's out there thought up to make things easier. Come on boyz let's see some of your MacGyver'isms, pictures please....
Old 11-14-2007, 02:42 PM
Registered

West Marine has an idiot proof one for guys like me who don't have the time or patience to build their own...for $50. I bought it yesterday and it works like a champ. I'm sure I could've built it for around $15 but Good luck.

Rock
Old 11-15-2007, 05:46 AM
Registered

Dont' have any pics..... This works if you can run exhaust through drive.

Drain block and put plugs back in.
Large plastic tub under outdrive, fill with 10 gallons of pink stuff. Engine will hold 5 gallons. Just set in a bilge pump in tub and run hose from pump to drive flush hose fitting. Run two hoses from underside of gimble/drive exhaust nostrels into tub(3/4" hoses I believe, just stuff them up the exhaust nostrels). Power bilge pump with a battery charger and start engine. Now I'm able to run the engine for as long as I want with the pink stuff running through it. Bring it to temp, fog engine and oil is warm to change. Very simple setup, only costly item is bilge pump, but it gives me confidence that engine is totally pickled!

Good luck.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:12 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Put drive oil in 1 gallon garden sprayer. Remove the drive attachment piece from those $10 pump kits and attach to the garden sprayer hose. Fill drive by sitting there waiting for 2 qt's to go in the drive instead of 257 pumps of that little hand pump!!!
Old 11-16-2007, 04:15 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rick here's my rig. I sit the can on the swim platform so it gravity feeds to the lower unit. The 2nd pic of the toilet plunger thing is called a Fake-a-lake and i got it from Overtons. I use it for my putting the antifreeze in my Gen set and AC. I slide under the trailer on a creeper and wedge it up to the pickups in the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails Pics of homemade winterizing contraptions/MacGyver'isms...-dsc00515.jpg   Pics of homemade winterizing contraptions/MacGyver'isms...-dsc00517.jpg  
Old 11-18-2007, 08:26 PM
Registered

well being a marine mechanic by trade i have built a portable cart/system. it is made up using a old 40 gallon water system tank from a boat. i have it plumbed to a old water system 12 volt pump from a boat also where i can transfer the non-tox from the 55 gallon drum to my tank. from there i just turn a valve and i have a pressurized gardenhose with a valve on the end with quick disconnect fittings so i can connect to any type of system wether it is a water system pump to winterize the water system on a boat, or just pressurize to a a/c system. i can just remove the intake hose at the thermostat housing after draining the block and manifolds and push antifreeze through the entire engine without running the engine until it comes out the exhaust. inboard engines are done very easy too by just closing the intake water seacock opening the strainer stick the pressurized hose in the strainer start the engine and run until you see pink antifreeze coming out the exhaust. i have been doing it this way for almost 15 years with great success. i even made a small portable system i can take in the car to a small job which is basicaly a old oil changer bucket which i removed the cover and cleaned thouroughly reinstalled the cover with another w/pump. works great. i also have adapter fittings for attaching a gardenhose to the bellhousing on the transom assemblies which works good for bravo drives. you just drain the block and manifolds attach the adapter and just start the engine and pump antifreeze to the raw waterpump on the engine.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:00 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I pull the feed hose from the gimbal housing (I have extension boxes) put on 6 foot of 1&1/4 hose, fill a 5 gallon bucket with pink stuff, start the engine & let the seawater pump suck the pink stuff out of the bucket.
Takes 6 gallons to do each engine.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:38 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Mark I made one similar to yours using a plastic 5 gallon bucket and some plastic plumbing hardware and hose ($11-15 total). I screwed it into my single flush kit connector (has a splitter with a shutoff for each line to each motor), filled with an anti-freeze/water mixture, put 2-stroke oil in my separators and fired em up one at a time. Worked great. Forgot to grab my camera and snap a couple while doing it, but I'll take one or two and post. I'm sure there are some other great "MacGyverism's" out there as well.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:04 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Sorry, no pic's but here's what I do.

5 gallon bucket, sump pump, garden hose, flushing attachment and a couple of extension cords.

Connect hose to flushing attachment and sump pump,
put sump pump in bucket, fill w/ anti freeze,
connect 1 extension cord to pump, the other to
power source, connect up cords, run pump to purge air from hose.

I have the bucket in visual range of helm.

With both ends of extension cords in hand,
start engines, once they fire, plug the cords together.

Watch the level of the bucket, when low, shut off.

This is easily done with only one person.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:18 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright, I cheat a little. I have a hose connection on my transom hooked to my freash water system. After draining the blocks and removing the thermostats, I hook the hose to the transom, fill the fresh water tank with antifreeze, and use the FW pump to push it in to my flushers (one per engine). Run the engine for a minute to fog and I am done. An added bonus is the FW system is winterized when I'm done