Transom soot >

Transom soot

Notices

Transom soot

Old 11-28-2007, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transom soot

Every time I run my 42 Fountain with 525 efi's I am getting a lot of soot on the transom. Seems to be worse in the cooler weather. It is evenly distributed on both sides of the transom and runs up onto the back edge of the swim platform, does not seem to be worse on one side than the other. Does the ECM's need to be recalibrated? What else to look for? I hate cleaning the mess up after every run. Boat seems to be running very well.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What gas are you running? I think if you run anything higher than 87 octane, you get a lot more soot.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:58 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Run your engine serial numbers and ECM part numbers by your local MerCruiser rep. and see if there's a fix campaign or recall on your stuff. I'm sure you're not the first guy to have this problem and if ANYBODY knows what the fix is...MerCruiser does. Good Luck.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gerritm
Every time I run my 42 Fountain with 525 efi's I am getting a lot of soot on the transom. Seems to be worse in the cooler weather. It is evenly distributed on both sides of the transom and runs up onto the back edge of the swim platform, does not seem to be worse on one side than the other. Does the ECM's need to be recalibrated? What else to look for? I hate cleaning the mess up after every run. Boat seems to be running very well.
Gerrit,
I have the same boat as you, and I get about 1/10 the amount of transom soot with my 525's that I got with my 2004 Baja 33 Outlaw with 496 Mag HO's. That boat had a terrible soot problem, but the engines always started and ran flawlessly. I only use 87 octane, I add Star Brite enzyme water removal because of the E10 gasohol, and the 525's run flawlessly also. With very little soot.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gerritm
O2 sensor???
Old 11-28-2007, 11:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Running a long time on the Rev limiters will create the Black soot, but if that is the case there is nothing you can do.

Early 525EFI's needed to be reprogramed by Mercury to eliminate the Soot you would get from not running on the Rev-Limiters.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:07 PM
Registered

I don't run on the rev limiters all of the time just some of the time. I run 87 octane marine fuel. I am leaning towards needing the ecm's reprogrammed.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:33 PM
Registered

I had to have mine reprogrammed. It was running very rich at idle. I still get a little bit of soot from idling, but nothing like before. Call the tech guy at Merc with your engines' numbers. He should be able to look it up quickly to see if it needs to be reprogrammed.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:07 PM
Registered

Now what takes the soot of the transom? I have tried many products but take it all off?
Old 11-29-2007, 06:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Baja_man
Now what takes the soot of the transom? I have tried many products but take it all off?
I have had excellent results with Spectro XL-1 motorcycle wash. It also works well on removing brake dust from aluminum wheels.
Ken

Quick Reply: Transom soot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.