Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
oil sitting on intake flange between carb and intake ( 525sc) >

oil sitting on intake flange between carb and intake ( 525sc)

Notices

oil sitting on intake flange between carb and intake ( 525sc)

Old 12-04-2007, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oil sitting on intake flange between carb and intake ( 525sc)

on both my 525sc's , there is some oil sitting on the intake "flange" between the intake and the carbs, some oil sitting in an intake bolt valley

i have not checked the blower gear lube level, but seems like engine oil viscosity

I plan to pull the blowers this year and have Blowershop rebuild the gear sets ( 200 hrs since rebuild)
motors run perfect and oil is showing perfect level after a short season.

common?
???

Ramb
Old 12-04-2007, 09:23 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,782 Likes on 884 Posts

Probably just oil that is sucked in through breather hoses and is dripping down. I used to get a little bit, especially around where the flame arrestor meets the carb.

How often do you change the blower lube???? I used to do mine with almost every oil change(30hrs). 500+ hours on them now and they were never apart. Not to mention mine were spinning faster with smaller pullies.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:34 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Agreed, probably just a little from the breather hoses. How many hours on the engines? Might be starting to get a little blow by at high rpms.

Also clean your breathers with varsal or carb cleaner or something. THey might not be flowing correctly where the breather tube attaches and this is letting oil vapor accumulate.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:33 AM
Registered

I bought the boat this spring. only put 22 hrs on the boat this year. prev owner was meticulous about maintenance so it was new blower lube when i bought it.

what I have read is the 525sc's are very relaible motors if you stay up on maintenace. So I am just going to do more than i need to I guess. blower bearing rebuilds by blowershop on these are only about $300? or so, they quoted me..... I'll have to look again

motors have 340 hrs and run perfect.
prev owner had the bearings on the blowers done at 200 hrs, and suggested I do them again to stay on it. no squeeling or anything, just seems worth it to do so I will pull them soon during these slow months.

Thanks for the replies. I feel better about the oil, and will check and clean the breathers

so, ignorant Q,
do these carbs have the powervalves that can blow out from backfires. I am still learning the best way to fire these, but have had a few backfires on startup. any need to check that?

I have smaller pullies from Teaque to use someday , but only if I get intercoolers.
I can wrench , but do not have the time I wish I had so I want a turnkey boat and this is the best I think you can get for total turnkey (525sc's) I want to keep them running tip top.

thanks

Ramb
Old 12-05-2007, 11:49 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,782 Likes on 884 Posts

They do have powervalves(6.5) on both primary and secondary sides. I would get a backfire through the carb once in a while at cold start up as well. Never blew a PV because of it though.

When you change the blower lube, you have to make sure to change front and back lube. They are separate and the back uses a plug unlike the front dipstick. You have to suck it out.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:35 PM
Registered

i would be cautious as to oil getting into the the combustion chamber " injested through intake /carb as it will cause detination , and we all know what happens with the d word