This is what we are dealing with.

Ask boat owners about Chain speed
Published: 12/5/2007 12:34 AMSend To:

E-mail:
To:

Name:
E-mail:
Comments:

I read Lee Filas' report in the Daily Herald on Nov. 29, about Fox Waterway Agency officials holding discussions on speed restrictions on the Chain O'Lakes to reduce noise.

I am very surprised that Bud Scott does not know what is going on during boating season. Saying that there are enough laws on the books now does not mean anything if they are not enforced. Chapter 8 states what is permitted concerning noise but it is violated all the time with the big boat owners.

To quote Scott, "I think the guys with the fast boats know when to drive fast and when to take it easy," is ridiculous. I have a large pontoon and the big boats rock the heck out of my boat. They are too fast and reckless and come far to close to other boats. Their props go so deep that they stir up the mud on the bottom and contribute to the dirty look of the lakes and inhibit the fish population.

The speed limit needs to be set at 35 mph or less during daylight and 15 mph or less at night. I may be one of the minority of people asking for a speed limit but there are many boaters that think the same as me.

I suggest that a survey asking opinions be sent to all of the boaters that buy the agency's sticker. They will then have a fair and impartial assessment. It is apparent that Bud Scott is not impartial.

Don Barringer

Grayslake
Old 12-08-2007, 04:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL! What ignorance! The gofast boats props are barely in the water! It's the big cruisers that rock his boat! The ones that can't plane and just throw 6-8 ft rollers behind!
Old 12-08-2007, 07:38 PM
Registered

Mr. Barringer needs to subscribe to the old saying "It is better to look like a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt" If he wants to live on a lake with a 35 mph speed limit, then why is he living on a large lake? He could move to one of many small lakes that have such speed limits and be perfectly happy that there are fewer waves. Better yet, if he would boat on a farm pond, there would be almost no waves at all. See, there are solutions to every problem!
Old 12-08-2007, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by jayhawk261
Mr. Barringer needs to subscribe to the old saying "It is better to look like a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt" If he wants to live on a lake with a 35 mph speed limit, then why is he living on a large lake? He could move to one of many small lakes that have such speed limits and be perfectly happy that there are fewer waves. Better yet, if he would boat on a farm pond, there would be almost no waves at all. See, there are solutions to every problem!
Even more scary Mr. Brringer lives in Grayslake not even a part of the chain about 10 miles away. He's a weekender!!!
Old 12-10-2007, 07:33 AM
Registered

I boated on the Chain for years. For all of the bi!!chen about the go fasts, what about the bass boaters and recreational boaters. The Chain is a big fishing, skiing, tubing, etc. group of lakes. The bass guys run their boats at very high speeds. Skiers, wake boarders, tubers, run up and down the shore line also. Nothing throws a wake like a wake board boat. There are many very large cruisers that never get on plane. It is probably 50 to 1 recreational to go fast boats at any given time. I guess it is always easiest to blame the most obvious boat group. I do think there should be speed/no wake restrictions in certain high traffic areas, like suicide alley, but that is where it should end.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:57 PM
Registered

I'm on Lake St. Clair, not the chain of lakes, but I've never had any problems with other high performance boat owners (other than the occasional holier than thou attitude at the dock, and even that's rare).

The problems with reckless driving are primarily with PWC's.

The problems with violations of rules of the road are primarily from new boaters who are either drunk, uneducated, inexperienced, or all of the above. They are occasionally in an older performance boat, but just as frequently in a sea ray or the like.

The problems with noise are rare. There are some really loud performance boats out there, but they're usually only bothersome for a short time because they don't take very long to get out of earshot. Modern PWC's are a lot quieter, it used to be that PWC's were the major noise complaint.

The wake problems are caused by people sunday driving their 40, 50, 60 foot cruisers just off-plane up and down the channels. That's the one that really pisses me off, because when I have to come off plane and / or change direction to hit someone's wake, and I have to worry about stuffing it if I don't keep the bow up with the throttle, then they need to learn how to f'ing drive.

The only other problems are people passing too close to anchored or drifting boats. That's either the PWC'ers fault when they're whipping through a swimming area, or the fishermans fault for anchoring too close to the channel and making me pass so close to them to stay in a narrow channel.