Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Where should I splice into for Engine Hr meters? Thanks! >

Where should I splice into for Engine Hr meters? Thanks!

Notices

Where should I splice into for Engine Hr meters? Thanks!

Old 01-03-2008, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where should I splice into for Engine Hr meters? Thanks!

Hello,

I have a 90 Scarab w/454 mags. I have ordered the hr meters, don't have room to mount on the dash, so want to mount in the engine compartment... Any recomendations on what to jup off of??

Thank you from a NEW boater!!
Old 01-03-2008, 12:08 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shotjock
Hello,

I have a 90 Scarab w/454 mags. I have ordered the hr meters, don't have room to mount on the dash, so want to mount in the engine compartment... Any recomendations on what to jup off of??

Thank you from a NEW boater!!
Run back to the key switches with an inline fuse
Old 01-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can tap in any where the purple wire shows up, under dash, key switch, on motor. Purple wire is protected by fuse or breaker on motor.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

i was thinking of installing an hour meter in out boat also. the motor shows 240 some odd hours after one year when they scanned the computer. the thing im worried about is that to listen to just the radio, you have to turn the key counter clockwise, if i hooked an hour meter to the ignition, would it still be counting when i listen to the radio? also, can i sync up the hour meter and the ecm by just leaving the key turned for a couple days?

cheers
Old 01-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Registered

If your key has an accessory position it should not include the ignition side. Purple is ignition color.Use a volt meter or test light to check if your not sure. Use jumper leads to a battery to advance meter before installing.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

thanx.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool Thank You... I Will Look For The Purple Wire... Probably Around The Ignition Wires On The Engine...

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2008, 08:46 AM
Registered

Make a good connection the purple is the ignition wire. It would be easy to add a wire to coil if it was a post. Than you would not have to interrupt or brake the wire to splice. Same is true under dash at any gauge.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Registered

So anywhere the purple wire is on the wiring harness on the motor I can splice in for power for the hour meters on the engines? I'm repowering and want to have the computer and hour meters the same. I'm assuming I can just get ground off the block.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by irishtornado
So anywhere the purple wire is on the wiring harness on the motor I can splice in for power for the hour meters on the engines? I'm repowering and want to have the computer and hour meters the same. I'm assuming I can just get ground off the block.
Correct. MOBILEMERCMAN is right on the money. If the hour meters were in the dash, they would still be tied into the purple wire. I would just find another ground in the bilge somewhere to tie into that is close to the guage.

Quick Reply: Where should I splice into for Engine Hr meters? Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.