Rebuild or repower??? >

Rebuild or repower???

Notices

Rebuild or repower???

Old 01-03-2008, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuild or repower???

My bro and I have been trying to figure out what would be better for us...Should we rebuild our tired 500HP's or should we sell them and buy newer engines with more power?
The engines have about 580 hours on them and I'm not sure if it would be worth it to rebuild them. We were thinking about some 525 or 575 SCI's but then we will be pushing the Bravo ones to the limit. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

All you guys that have helped with the overheating problems we have been having I want to let you know that the problem still exists. I am guess it has something to do with the original Gil manifolds having blockage since I have checked and changed everything else in the cooling system.
I haven't really messed with it lately due to holidays but short of pulling the drives and possibly the engines I don't know what else to look for. We need to get this boat in shape for the spring and it is looking like a close call at this point....

Thanks guys,
Chuck
Old 01-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CAPTAIN CHUCK
My bro and I have been trying to figure out what would be better for us...Should we rebuild our tired 500HP's or should we sell them and buy newer engines with more power?
The engines have about 580 hours on them and I'm not sure if it would be worth it to rebuild them. We were thinking about some 525 or 575 SCI's but then we will be pushing the Bravo ones to the limit. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

All you guys that have helped with the overheating problems we have been having I want to let you know that the problem still exists. I am guess it has something to do with the original Gil manifolds having blockage since I have checked and changed everything else in the cooling system.
I haven't really messed with it lately due to holidays but short of pulling the drives and possibly the engines I don't know what else to look for. We need to get this boat in shape for the spring and it is looking like a close call at this point....

Thanks guys,
Chuck
Did you check to see that the fittings in the risers are not screwed in too far? Could very well be were the water is getting restricted.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:22 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,811 Likes on 901 Posts

If you have low water pressure, like you said, its a flow problem before getting into the engine. A restriction in the exhaust would NOT change the water pressure in the engine. My money is on the flow being restricted through the drives and or transom assembly.

I would rebuild and bump up the HP slightly as long as the blocks and heads do not have issues with corrosion.

Last edited by Griff; 01-04-2008 at 03:50 AM.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Rebuild to a 509 use the "741" cam and get new exhaust. You'll think some one put a rocket in your ass..... Well maybe not a big rocket!
Old 01-04-2008, 12:42 PM
Registered

LOL!!! Not really thrilled about having a rocket up my ass but my I would like more power. I did get a look at the lower outboard sides of both engines when changing the plugs and there is some corrosion but I am not sure how extensive it is as of yet. I think the best bet is to pull both engines and go from there. I feel the spring season slipping away already...
Old 01-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take them over to Precision Marine in New Orleans. Should have them back in before summer.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:15 PM
Registered

We have to figure out your water problem first. You could drop new engines in and still have the water problems. I still have to believe it is a restriction beween the drive and pump. Pulling the drive is pretty easy... Just like bayou said Precision Marine defintely. Tell mark you want a little more power. He just rebuilt hp500's for a friend of mine in your 'hood with the 35' fountain "My Crew".
Old 01-04-2008, 09:26 PM
Registered

Thank Jason. Mark has an engine of mine in his shop already and I know he does his sh!t right. I am just trying to decide about the power options at this point. I have pulled drives before and I know it's not that hard so that will be my next task.
As far as the engines go I am leaning more toward bigger power. Mark has my 540 c.i. Bowtie engine that I bought from a guy in Metairie and I was thinking of just trying to find another one and put those in it.
We would be pushing about 620-630 HP per engine though and then it will be time for drive upgrades. I guess we need to decide on how much $$$ we are willing to spend to get where we want and go from there. Thanks guys.

Chuck
Old 01-06-2008, 03:59 PM
Registered

your water problem sounds to me what we call the dreaded bravo disease. if your are running in saltwater the intermediate hose that comes through the transom grows corrosion around the outside which collapses the hose and the plastic threaded insert. you need to check this buy removing the plastic water neck inside on the transom assembly. good luck.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:24 PM
Registered

you got 580hrs on those blocks and you are thinking about repower... what do you want from them.. fresh'n them up captin

Quick Reply: Rebuild or repower???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.