91 Scarab 21ft Excel ?'s >

91 Scarab 21ft Excel ?'s

Notices

91 Scarab 21ft Excel ?'s

Old 01-09-2008, 05:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 Scarab 21ft Excel ?'s

I have a bone stock Excel with a 454 and want to make it a little faster, what can I do to it on a budget?
Old 01-09-2008, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dodge16vrt
I have a bone stock Excel with a 454 and want to make it a little faster, what can I do to it on a budget?
What speed are you running now?
Whats your budget?

I was running 58 with the stock 7.4L and now running 70 and still have some tweeking to do.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Registered

Man thats a loaded question , alot depends on your idea of "budget" , alot of guys consider 10 grand stellings headers to be budget if you compare to 125 grand 1075 merc packages ,
but i'v read about using 496 manifolds to gain a couple miles per hour , and loose some weight , can ussually find em used for 200-300 a set , headwork is always good for some ponies , if the heads are off the machine shop shouldnt charge too much to go thru the heads and find some power , or changing heads to nicer heads , bigger cam etc etc ,
the cheapest way to gain speed on land or sea is always to loose weight and lessen drag (ie wax the hull and dont carry stuff that u dont need)
i'm sure more people will chime in
Old 01-11-2008, 07:09 PM
Registered

Well the motor is in and runs great. I hit just about 60 on GPS. I do not want to lose the silent drive option, can I do that with better manifolds? I dont mind doing cam and crap but that would mean the motor has to come out huh? I have never removed an I/O motor from a boat before, but have dont many car engines. 70 MPH or more would fanfreaking-tastic! What would be a better prop than stock?
One issue the boat does have is with trim. If its on the trailer, the trim gauge for the drive reads correctly but in the water it reads all the way down no matter where the drive is. It will adjust but the guage reads wrong while in the water.
I also want to put the graphics back on the boat, do you guys know someone with the Scarab graphics?
Old 01-11-2008, 07:10 PM
Registered

Oh and budget means I dont want to dump 20k into it right now, I am building 2 big block Dodge Coronets and have to share the wealth!
Old 01-11-2008, 10:35 PM
Registered

Well the motor is in and runs great. I hit just about 60 on GPS. I do not want to lose the silent drive option, can I do that with better manifolds? I dont mind doing cam and crap but that would mean the motor has to come out huh? I have never removed an I/O motor from a boat before, but have dont many car engines. 70 MPH or more would fanfreaking-tastic! What would be a better prop than stock?
One issue the boat does have is with trim. If its on the trailer, the trim gauge for the drive reads correctly but in the water it reads all the way down no matter where the drive is. It will adjust but the guage reads wrong while in the water.
I also want to put the graphics back on the boat, do you guys know someone with the Scarab graphics?
the cam can be changed while still in the boat,it requires that you cut the little lip behind the seat in front of the balancer. Also you can change the exhaust and still keep the Q&Q.

Here is what i did with mine.
ZZ502 aluminum heads
SRP 10:1 pistons
ZZ502 cam
ZZ502 intake
roller rokers/lifters
Barry grant 830 DP
HEI ignition
Marine power Exhaust
Prop is either a 25p M+ ata a speed of 70.8 at 4900prm
and a 25P hydromotive QIV-X at 68 4550 rpm
need to get the engine to 5200rpm so i think i need to lab the M+ but i like the way the boat handles with the QIV-X
Old 01-12-2008, 07:04 AM
Registered

So all in all what did it run you? Also if I pull the engine the rear wing has to be removed right? Is that hard to do without breaking it?
Old 01-12-2008, 09:14 AM
Registered

So all in all what did it run you? Also if I pull the engine the rear wing has to be removed right? Is that hard to do without breaking it?
Yes you have to remove the arch. Pull the side vents and just unscrew the 2 bolts on each side pull straight up(2 people) I used a fork lift because i was by myself.

I did some horse trading and got my heads, exhaust,intake,cam,and ignition for what i traded.
And the rest cost me 5k

Last edited by BY U BOY; 01-12-2008 at 09:20 AM.