roller rockers?s >

roller rockers?s

Notices

roller rockers?s

Old 01-14-2008, 10:32 AM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default roller rockers?s

got my 502mpi out of my fountain and doing some p/m work on the heads...springs,seals,retainers..etc.thinking about installing a set of roller rockers on the engine.how do you think will effect the engine and do you think it will be a waste of time.would this modifaction effect the ECM?THANKS
Old 01-14-2008, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you run hard yes it is worth it. If you cruise its a toss up. The ECM wont know they are there. You wont know either.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:59 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

You will not see any performance increase with roller rockers. I would just leave the stock rockers.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stock stamped rockers are a common breakage area. They also cause additional oil heating and they'll wear your valve stem tips. The problem increases significantly if you have a cam with alot of lift, heavier springs, etc. They're too cheap not to use- if you break a rocker you're at least done for the weekend. If the rocker causes ancillary damage, you could miss a nice sized chink of your season.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:58 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With the stock cam, there is no need to change to rollers.
How about going to 1.8 ratio roller rockers though???
Hmmm...
Old 01-14-2008, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i put alumina roller rockers ran 2 years one broke lucky did no damge they were life time warrty i replace with crowler stainles steel 8 years on them no problens they say 20 hp on dnyo
Old 01-15-2008, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

We won't build or sell any marine motors without stainless or certain aluminum roller rockers. As said already here on this thread, they add about 10-15 HP on any big block (dyno proven), they keep the oil cooler, stabilize some valve train issues and are much more accurate in ratio than any stamped rocker.
Very good investment for the dollar. Just make sure you purchase quality units, like Comp, Crane, Crower, ETC.

Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 01-15-2008, 12:15 PM
Registered

Simply put rollers have bearings and stockers do not. Bearings reduce friction and therefore add HP... The gains may not be tremendous but are worth the investment.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Keep in mind that if you're really fixed on staying with a stock stamped steel NON-roller rocker arm and go with a higher lift cam, you will need to make sure you have what is usually refered to as a "long slot" rocker arm that accomodates for the higher lift of the cam....not sure what the lift limitations are that the stamped rockers could handle. That being said, you should just install some well made roller rocker arms and be done with it.

Last edited by KAAMA; 01-15-2008 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:05 AM
Registered

If you don't want to pull out your cam you can go with the 1.8 roller rockers and gain about 300 rpms. I have used them in several stock set ups and have never had a failure. Every application saw an increase in RPM.

Quick Reply: roller rockers?s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.