Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Marine Gas Engine Synthetic Race oil? >

Marine Gas Engine Synthetic Race oil?

Notices

Marine Gas Engine Synthetic Race oil?

Old 03-19-2008, 12:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Marine Gas Engine Synthetic Race oil?

I'm looking for information and recommendations for Synthetic engine oil for a marine endurance race (gas)engine. I've found overwhelming information for automotive applications, however most automotive oils have now lost much of their vital additives in order to meet emission standards. And marine race engines see much more extreme conditions than any automotive race engine.

I currently use Joe Gibbs Synthetic Racing oil and thought I was happy with it until I disassembled the engine after it had been sitting for a couple of months and found significant amounts of rust on the piston rings and a little at the top of each cylinder.

In my preliminary research, I have only found information for Amsoil marine oil that is suppose to be specifically designed for marine use, but no information on its levels of ZDDP, Zinc, Ca, Mg, Moly, detergents, etc.

I'm curious what the Professional Offshore racers use and recommend.

Thank you in advance for your time in answering.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's absolutely no question in my mind that synthetic oil has significant performance advantages over petroleum oils. It's been proven time and time again in tests and in application. Obviously some are better than others.

The problem you describe has nothing to do with engine operation. It's one of storage. Oil has nothing to do with improper layup. Moisture got into your engine either prior to layup or during. If you have a leaking exhaust that allows water to enter the engine, no motor oil in the world will help.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:47 AM
Registered

Thats Why Its So Important To Fog Your Engine While Winterizing ,either With Mercury Storage Seal Or If Efi,2 Ounces Of Tcw3 Poured Into The Fuel/water Seperator.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:34 AM

I have a pair of 502's in my shop right now. Manifolds seeped over the winter. Filled the cylinders with water. I took a 1X2 steel bar and slid it down to the backside of the pistons and had to beat them out with an 8lb sledge. I bet they took 30 or 40 swats each to get out. Times 16 pistons. I needed a nap when I was done.

if you don't drain your manifolds after winterizing, you're tempting fate.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Riverracer
I'm looking for information and recommendations for Synthetic engine oil for a marine endurance race (gas)engine. I've found overwhelming information for automotive applications, however most automotive oils have now lost much of their vital additives in order to meet emission standards. And marine race engines see much more extreme conditions than any automotive race engine.

I currently use Joe Gibbs Synthetic Racing oil and thought I was happy with it until I disassembled the engine after it had been sitting for a couple of months and found significant amounts of rust on the piston rings and a little at the top of each cylinder.

In my preliminary research, I have only found information for Amsoil marine oil that is suppose to be specifically designed for marine use, but no information on its levels of ZDDP, Zinc, Ca, Mg, Moly, detergents, etc.

I'm curious what the Professional Offshore racers use and recommend.

Thank you in advance for your time in answering.
Bob Teague uses AMSOIL 20w-50 Racing Oil and the AMSOIL Marine Gear Lube 75w/80w-90. You will not find an oil out that will outperform any AMSOIL product. If you need tech sheets on some of the products, let me know. I can fax them to you. AMSOIL motor oils also have an offseason protection package built into them, therefore, helping to prevent that issue you had.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:23 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Royal Purple Racing 51. It is equivalent to 20W50, has all the anti-foaming properties and has never let me down in my drag cars: 598 cu.in. Shafiroff, 775 hp 1969 Z-28 Camaro and 406 cu. in. Chevy SB 1968 Firebird.

Tres Martin told me about it years ago. I believe he uses it in almost everything.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:14 AM

My konrads just showed up with a couple bottles of Royal Purple in the boxes. That's what they advise using.

I know the BMW guys swear by it.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I run the Red Line 20-50, full synthetic, and am very happy, even in 120 degree heat.

Darrell.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:48 PM
Registered

Thanks everyone for your replies. I realize that I didn't store the engine properly, however I understand that Marine oils have specific additives to help with corrosion, which may have reduced the amount of corrosion.

I would just be curious to know if someone has compared automotive "Race" synthetic oil (both by experience and additive packages) to a Top quality Marine specific synthetic oil. I would think that a properly designed Synthetic Marine oil woud be superior to an automotive synthetic race oil??

What do the Professional Off Shore Race Teams use?
Old 03-19-2008, 02:57 PM
Registered

O7DOMINATORSS - Does Bob Teague use the Amsoil Race oil or the Marine oil? I'm curious as to his rational for using one over the other??

I know Royal Purple, Red Line and Amsoil are all good oils, but how does a person choose? I was hoping that there might be a popular oil that all the professional racers all use?

Quick Reply: Marine Gas Engine Synthetic Race oil?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.