Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > American Offshore
31 AO engines moved forward, thoughts? >

31 AO engines moved forward, thoughts?

Notices

31 AO engines moved forward, thoughts?

Old 10-22-2008, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 31 AO engines moved forward, thoughts?

Any thought on the advantages/disadvantages of moving the motors forward 12 inches in a 31 AO? Any speed advantage? Getting on plane issues? Mid range issues? My questions are relative to no boxes installed.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:22 PM
Registered

From what I understand adding weight to the front of the boat is not the same thing as moving the motors forward. i think all the faster AO/Awesomes have their motors moved forward.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:27 PM
Registered

it will help to move the cg forward on these boats... I know on the newer and lighter boats it makes more of a difference in cg therefor it helps more. I think you would be easier to add boxes and change the x would do more for added speed than moving the engines forward. at least in the amount of money spent. the kits to add drive shafts are not cheap.

Don
Old 10-22-2008, 08:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I agree with Chromecat
Old 10-22-2008, 11:24 PM
Registered

mine are not forward but i have boxes and shortened drives and mine flys good and runs fast its a older ao so its heavy anyway but 130 with the hp i have is good its all in the setup
Old 10-23-2008, 07:25 AM
Registered

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. It was just a thought that a couple of us were talking about as a potential spot to add some speed without adding power. The boat runs very well now with the setup I have with slip that is excellent and easy to plane. Charlie I will call you later today.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by quest
I agree with Chromecat
How much does your boat weigh?
Old 10-23-2008, 05:18 PM
Registered

tssteph,

It would help, but price the stuff to add them,

new custom tailpipes... high dollar
drive shafts ... aren't cheap
drive shaft kit for the transom assymbly and the engine kit is about $1k i think.

this is before you take the time to redo your whole rigging in the engine well.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:19 PM
Registered

quest has the lightest 3100 ever built.....
Old 10-24-2008, 11:12 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by tssteph
Any thought on the advantages/disadvantages of moving the motors forward 12 inches in a 31 AO? Any speed advantage? Getting on plane issues? Mid range issues? My questions are relative to no boxes installed.
Well, my are moved forward and I have a 2in. spacer in my drives. Planes off instantly and I barely have any bow lift. Boat is in total control and does not feel loose! But come this summer, I will be taking my spacers out and I will be installing 30Pitch 5 blade bravo's. so god knows how the boat is going to react when I do this! Art DiNick from AO has my same exact boat but the only difference is that he has boxes. I had a two hour conversation with him. My boat hits a 138 MPH with PFaff 900's, he hits 142 -145 MPH or so. He told me to add boxes with a 1in. spacer in the drives and add a tunnel tab and I will be all set! He definately said I need a tunnel tab as well. Our hull design with the tunnel we have, the air flow I guess gets blocked or something, that our hulls around 110-115 get dragged by that triangular V in the top of the tunnel and it drags the boat down. He said the Tab will help create enough pressure to get the tunnel 100% air flow once the boat hits the 115 or so mark. I started to think about it and he's right, my boat will sit at that speed for a sec or two and then she will start to increase to her top end. The other bizzare thing is that I absolutely have no porpoise at all what so ever!

Last edited by TunnelVision3100; 10-24-2008 at 11:25 AM.

Quick Reply: 31 AO engines moved forward, thoughts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.