Notices

EFI dry start?

Old 04-23-2009, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EFI dry start?

I posted this question on someone else's thread, figured I should start my own! On a mid 90's 454EFI that has been sitting for 2 years is it ok to pull the plugs out and spin the motor over either on the key, or with a bump switch?

My buddies boat hasn't ran in a couple of years, and he has put fresh gas in it and has checked everything electrical and changed all the fluids, but, I remember on older cars/motors that had "sat" we used to spin the plugs out and spray some lube in the cylinders before trying to start the motor, I am concerned about doing this on a late model motor because of all the computer/EFI stuff, does anyone know if you can do this without frying the computer? I had planned to disconnect the coil wire as well, any input would be GREATLY appreciated!, Thanks!

Michael
Old 04-23-2009, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

yes,cranking it without the plugs is good because you will build oil pressure.pull the coil wire from the dist and ground it .do not pull the coil wire off the coil.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:46 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by daredevil
I would take the valve covers off and the plugs out , then spray everything with WD 40 and let it sit for2-3 hours ,,also spray in the plugholes.

Then turn over by hand without ign.

after that put plugs back in ,valve covers on and fire up.

Every thing is lubed now ,,,no need for having the oilpump do all the work !
wd40 is 80 percent solvent,use the oil pump,that,s what it is for, to pump oil.as far as removing the valve covers,if it has headers,good luck with that with engine still in boat.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The cam is the bit that takes a beating and spinning it over without plugs in doesn't help the cam. If possible, I'd pull the distributor and put an oil pump primer down there - spin that over a fair bit to get oil in all the right places - and check that it will actually prime and pump oil still. Then just start it up.