Notices

Guide Posts?

Old 04-28-2009, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guide Posts?

I have an aluminum "I" beam trailer with a Formula 353 Fastech. I'd like to install some guide posts (lighted or not) on the rear of the trailer. I've seen quite a few on the internet but they look like they're made of PVC. Will these PVC posts stand up to the weight (8,500-9,500lbs) of my boat in a bad cross wind or bad approach? What guide posts do you guys use?
Old 04-28-2009, 08:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by daredevil
It should be an aluminum pipe with a PVC pipe around it !!!

U can built them yourself real easy !!!

Square aluminum and a round PVC pipe that fits over them !!
Good info, been thinking about this also
Old 04-28-2009, 08:52 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I have/had those PVC covered aluminum guide poles. Finally installed them after 2 years since I hate the way they look when trailering......when my 382 leans against one it bends them outward quite a bit.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:37 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Stop putting the trailer so deep into the water and you won't need them.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:54 AM
Registered

Griff, I live in AZ, our ramps are quite steep.

Good info, thanks for the replies. I will look into making a set. I'll probably go with steel since my boat is heavy. So I use 2" square steel with 2.5" PVC over it correct? Also, is it okay to drill into the aluminum "I" beam to mount these posts or should I use some type of "U" clamp.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:18 PM
Registered

I bought the 6 foot Guides from Overtons. I had to make longer U-bolts to make them fit my Myco trailer. They work great .. I would never have a trailer without them again. Makes it super easy to get the boat on in any kind of wind. I nailed one real hard in a major wind storm and bent it over pretty far . With all the leverage from the long PVC, all you have to do is bend them right back . Just like new again...Jeff
Old 04-29-2009, 07:28 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Trust me, our ramps here are very steep as well. Easiest way on steep ramps is to put the trailer in shallow. If needed, have someone back the truck up slowly as you load the boat onto the trailer.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default guide poles

Hey folks:
I would like to offer a possible solution. I have a 353 also and I wanted to make a pair of substantial guide poles. I mounted a 2x2 receiver bracket (the kind you bolt to a pick up rear bumper) to the bottom of the I beam frame at the rear of the trailer facing outward. A compadre welded the guide poles from 2x2 square tubing and 2inch o.d. galvanized pipe. The pipe is covered with 2inch i.d. PVC pipe. The PVC is covered with carpet.

The guide poles slide in and out of the receiver tube when it is time to launch and recover. I made a bracket up front for the poles to ride in while on the road. I chose to make 'em removable so I will remain within legal width and the poles will not shake and bang the rub rail while the trailer is rolling. The poles will need to be taller than you think. You will need to have about 9ft in height so you can see the tops of the poles as you float onto your trailer. I can send you photos if you will share an e-mail address or teach me how to post a photo on this site....Hope this helps!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.