Notices

steam out exhaust

Old 05-09-2009, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steam out exhaust

Hey guys i got my new motor n today and fired up and timed great. But the driverside exhaust (thu hull) is steaming when gets warm Im kinda confused. So any help will b great. Ps also i dont no if impeller bad to but it wasnt get n hot about 150s thanks
Old 05-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by burninbridges236
Hey guys i got my new motor n today and fired up and timed great. But the driverside exhaust (thu hull) is steaming when gets warm Im kinda confused. So any help will b great. Ps also i dont no if impeller bad to but it wasnt get n hot about 150s thanks
It may help us out to know What engine do you have? and what side is hot starboard side [Right], Port side [Left]? Thank's
Old 05-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Registered

Its the starboard side and the motor is a 454mag that i built up new cam intake carb ext. It is the water coming out out the exhaust the water is hot and steam n i have silent choice to so the water dumps down the y pipe to the transom and out the sides. I put on a new mercruiser thermo to i went from 6 hose to the 4 hose and also bought used imco thumper manifolds. I also shot the thermo and it was any were from 140 to 160f and i was also run n on earmuffs so if that makes a diff. I just dont know it never did it before.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Head gasket ,cracked head,or crack in a cylinder on that side.Pull the plugs on that side and see if any look different than the others.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Registered

even if i just got the engine back from the shop complete refresh and they put it together from oil pan to intake. I hope that wouldnt have missed something like that. I just pulled the impeller out of the sea pump and nothing gone but 3 fins were cracked and from the looks of it could have been folding over when runing so could this have cause this problem due to like low water press or not? Geting to close to memoial day weekend...........
Old 05-10-2009, 09:49 PM
Registered

o also put msd blue box complete ign. and the shop set adv. in the cam also so i guess ill grab a new impeller and go from there. thank you o now that i think about it when i would rev up to around 2000 rpm the steam would stop would that b cause to the pump moving faster idk and what should be normal temp.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:05 PM
Registered

Pump should have nothing to do with it beings you say it is only heating to 150 degrees.That's perfect with that thermostat.Good thing your changing that impeller though sense it's showing some cracks.They take on that folded back look from running in the pump body.It still probably fits in there tight though.New ones are perfectly straight so when you install it make sure you fold them back the right way for the rotation of the pump.Also that wouldn't explain the steam only coming out one side.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

How cold was the water you were putting into it? I was winterizing my boat last year and the garden hose water temp was probably around 40 degrees. Of course it's gonna steam when it hits the exhaust then.............. But mine was steaming out of both pipes, not just one. Are you talking out of one motor, or one pipe of one motor?
Old 05-11-2009, 09:37 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the info guys. I put the new impeller in and a new sending unit on the thermo and that got that fixed. So i took it to the lake and did a few trial runs and now i have to do some tuning and timing. Anyone have any words of advise on msd ign. Wasnt very happy with speed and power kinda doggy. Hope i can get it out. Thanks all agian for all the info.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:45 PM
Registered

MSD's work great.They really helps keep your plugs from fouling at idle speeds around the dock when running bigger cams and carbs.What cam,intake and carb are you running now?Do you know what your compression ratio is?I don't know how you are setting your timing but you should set it when it is fully advanced.Hook up your timing light and direct it on the timing mark.Have some one throttle it up while you watch the timing mark advance.When it stops advancing and holds steady,usually about 2500-3000,set it at 38 degrees.If your balancer isn't numbered that high you can get a timing tape to put on it at your local speed shop.Need to know your balancer diameter though.This would be a beginning for your tuning.Your doggieness surely has nothing to do with the MSD.

Last edited by picklenjim; 05-11-2009 at 10:47 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.