Trim/Tilt mercruiser switches >

Trim/Tilt mercruiser switches

Notices

Trim/Tilt mercruiser switches

Old 05-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trim/Tilt mercruiser switches

I just purchased a 1990 Baja 250 ES. On the dash is a trim switch and a seperate tilt switch. There are no wires connected to the trim switch. Are there supposed to be wires going from that switch to the pump? What do I need to do to have this working properly? Thanks.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have another trim switch somewhere else?If so you can splice into those wires and connect to that switch and use both.Should be 3 wires.1 hot,1 up,1 down.If you touch the hot wire to the up or down the pump will run in that direction.I believe up is blue & white and down is green & white.Hot red & purple.

Last edited by picklenjim; 05-18-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:02 PM
Registered

Default Trim/Tilit switch

Thanks, I'll check it out. The console has two switches right next to each other. One says "Tilt" or trailer and the other says "Trim". I only see wires on the "Tilt" switch. My guess was that the "Trim" switch only allowed the outdrive to move throughout the "trim" range of motion. (Not allowing you to tilt the drive all the way up for trailering. ???)
Old 05-18-2009, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's correct,the trim only let's you move in the trim range.It will not let you raise the drive out of the guides on the gimble ring.Do you have another trim switch somewhere like maybe on the throttle ?
Old 05-22-2009, 04:55 PM
Registered

Default Trim/Tilt

Yes. I have one switch that is labeled "Trim" and a seperate switch labeled "Trailer". Another question. Do I need two independent wires for these switches? Do the wires run from the switch to the trim pump? I see a couple of wires running through the gimbal housing to the drive. What would those be for? Sorry about all the questions.