Converting to Hydraulic Steering >

Converting to Hydraulic Steering

Notices

Converting to Hydraulic Steering

Old 06-02-2009, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting to Hydraulic Steering

It seems I have a mismatched hydraulic steering system. It has a Sauer-Danfoss /VERADO helm which is rated at 3.05 Cubic Inches of volume. The cylinder is and unknown brand...the pump is the factory GM pump on the engine. The problem is the cylinder takes too much volume for the helm. So it takes over 8 turns lock to lock.
I have already changed the helm to a faster unit...the fastest one I can get without changing all my hydraulic lines...and that helped a little, but only a couple turns....I was at 10 turns lock to lock before this.

So now I am thinking I need to get a faster cylinder. One that will move quicker with the helm volumn I have.
I need suggestions, I am open to anything except spending $1000s on a complete new system.
Here is a pic of the cylinder I have....anyone know who makes it?
Old 06-05-2009, 08:23 AM

That might be a Hynautic K5 cylinder.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:15 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is that a balanced cylinder, a seastar helm would push that ram with out spending too much.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:07 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like an old hynautic to me - I got two laying around. Sounds like the helm is the problem. Most of the used, inexpensive helms I have seen online and on e-bay are for inboard cruisers or outboards, with very small single cylinders, and will get you 8+ turns no matter what cylinder you use - the inboard cylinders are just that much smaller I guess. A buddy runs his donzi that way, with two hynautics out back, and 8 turns lock to lock - don't know how he stands it. Gonna need to find a helm meant for outdrives, which means the large cylinders - I was never able to find one used, without the whole system. New seems to be at least a $300 - 400 item, and might be your only option. Just my .02
Old 06-05-2009, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by northernoffshore
Is that a balanced cylinder, a seastar helm would push that ram with out spending too much.
That is NOT a balanced cylinder and so you can push that with any of the seastar helms except the pro models, but the seastar's largest model only pushes 2.4cu.in. per rev anyway.

Last edited by Holeinthewater; 06-05-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:52 PM
Beak botr
VIP Member

That cylinder appears to have a very large piston and takes a large amount of fluid to move, it appears to be more like a heavy equipment cylinder whereas a typical Latham or Mayfair cylinder has a low volume to displacement requirement. Perhaps the helm and pump are sized well, just update the cylinder and you are golden.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have this helm for hynautic, but the threads for the wheel are damaged . used with the can.
Attached Thumbnails Converting to Hydraulic Steering-mako-run-005.jpg  
Old 06-16-2009, 03:07 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Give Rik at Arneson a call. I bought a helm from him awhile back that was relatively inexpensive and it worked well on a ram about the same size as yours.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A knowledgeable guy at a hydraulic supply store should be able to help you out. Hydraulic power steering is used on all kinds of industrial equipment. They tend to charge less than pure marine stores.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

My Cigarette Mistress has that same cylinders on it. I don't know what volume of oil it that to move it. All the older Cigarette's use them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.