Notices

switchable muffler experience??

Old 06-11-2009, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default switchable muffler experience??

I'm interested in this system......

http://www.hardin-marine.com/detail~ID~252.aspx

Anyone have any experience in this system, or one like it. I'm wondering just how quiet this would keep a HP500.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:36 PM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

About 6-7 db reduction with the cmi variety
Old 06-16-2009, 10:17 PM
Registered

My motor is actually a worked 502 mpi, putting out about 500 hp. It currently has the imco powerflow manifolds. Trying to figure out if i'm gonna be legal decibals with their system. Hate to buy it, and then end up getting tickets.

I also started a new thread in the general technical area, didn't see many responses down here.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:01 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 502 around 600 horse with plenty of snap to it. I am using the teague switchable tips and they work great with my application. I have actually passed with 86.7 db with the mufflers closed. When they are open it is still extremely loud as I am running 4.5" exhaust. I don't know about the system you are looking at, but I can sure recommend the teague system.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeffkopec
I have a 502 around 600 horse with plenty of snap to it. I am using the teague switchable tips and they work great with my application. I have actually passed with 86.7 db with the mufflers closed. When they are open it is still extremely loud as I am running 4.5" exhaust. I don't know about the system you are looking at, but I can sure recommend the teague system.
I was all set to get the Teague system as well until i heard you can't run full throttle with the mufflers in the quiet selection. Here in Madison, WI, our water patrol will actually board your boat, and make you run full throttle through the traps making sure your full throttle when they test for db. So if the systems have limitations in RPM's due to design, then i can't use them. I'm settling with IMCO Gatlin mufflers now unfortunately...........
Old 07-06-2009, 07:32 PM
Registered

Any update on how effective the IMCO Gatlin mufflers were? Sound drop & any speed loss.
Thanks Steve
Old 07-06-2009, 10:36 PM
Registered

Default A Bit Off Topic

I have the Imco "Sound Advantage" and love it. Nice that it has very minimum failure possibilities and it's so quiet you can raft up next to the yachties at 11pm and not get yelled at.

If you keep a watchful eye on where the cops are and come off plane when you close it you could possibly fool everyone..

It also does not burn power constantly. Use power to put it in literally any position you want and when you let off the switch the system has no draw unlike the old Corsa Systems.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SDFever
I have the Imco "Sound Advantage" and love it. Nice that it has very minimum failure possibilities and it's so quiet you can raft up next to the yachties at 11pm and not get yelled at.

If you keep a watchful eye on where the cops are and come off plane when you close it you could possibly fool everyone..

It also does not burn power constantly. Use power to put it in literally any position you want and when you let off the switch the system has no draw unlike the old Corsa Systems.
That's what i had installed. Can't use it with my cam/motor and boat hull depth application. Causes reversion.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by NEVERSATISFIED
Any update on how effective the IMCO Gatlin mufflers were? Sound drop & any speed loss.
Thanks Steve
Don't know yet, hoping to pick up the boat this weekend. I've been working with Fred Fr. at Imco, very good guy to work with. They are custome making the gattlins to my tips in order to make it work with my boat. My hull is a pain in the butt with the motor and exhaust exiting under the swim platform. Will have more info and will post for you when it's done. They claim no hp loss with the gatlins. A set of mufflers i inquired about from Hardin, the guy told me 100 rpm loss at full throttle. No way i'd get that. Imco promises no loss. Guess i will find out.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cloudmaster_321
That's what i had installed. Can't use it with my cam/motor and boat hull depth application. Causes reversion.
yeah there are limitations with overlap. Although, just my opinion but based on the way that system works, I think it is one of the best systems for higher hp.

Otherwise you're using permanet mufflers or nothing at all. I like the idea of dry pipes but I'm pretty loud as is..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.