View Full Version : Info on 31 awsome, you guys have any?? (friends boat)

Fenderjack
06-23-2009, 09:45 PM
Buddy of mine bought the boat out of NJ( BIG BOY TOYS). It was for sale, looked very nice, clean, fired up on the trailer no prob, was said to have fresh rebuilds I believe.. Boat has a set of bbc 454's that seem to be decent, with cmi headers, none the less he has had to do a few things to get the bugs out.. Anyway what should this boat run giving mph wise if the engines are true 435-50 hp.. Drives are B1's 1.50 spinning 26p props.. Was out today on it for the first time, twisted to 5k, but was all over the place( I wasn't driving so not sure if he wsn't trying to correct it or what.. Just curious if ya had any info on it, speed..

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/mangler0075/0426091234a_00012.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/mangler0075/002-28.jpg

John jr

tssteph
06-24-2009, 07:52 AM
Are the props spinning in or out? I would guess 80 mph tops with what you noted. Whats the steering setup?

Ran-Dom 32
06-24-2009, 08:28 AM
When I first got mine, it had 454's 385hp , 1.50 ratio turning stock bravo 30's approx 4900 78-79 on GPS everyday, so I would guess low 80's should be realistic, That was turning outward & the toe in/out set at 0

tssteph
06-24-2009, 08:33 AM
Rereading this, with 26 props I doubt it runs 80, probably more like 75. i suspect it is starting to porpoise at that speed which is probably why it feels like it is all over the place.

Ran-Dom 32
06-24-2009, 09:14 AM
this boat was discussed here a few months back, they were trying to pass it off as a 90+ rig
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/awesome/195009-whats-story.html

ROTAX454
06-24-2009, 09:26 AM
Buddy of mine bought the boat out of NJ( BIG BOY TOYS). It was for sale, looked very nice, clean, fired up on the trailer no prob, was said to have fresh rebuilds I believe.. Boat has a set of bbc 454's that seem to be decent, with cmi headers, none the less he has had to do a few things to get the bugs out.. Anyway what should this boat run giving mph wise if the engines are true 435-50 hp.. Drives are B1's 1.50 spinning 26p props.. Was out today on it for the first time, twisted to 5k, but was all over the place( I wasn't driving so not sure if he wsn't trying to correct it or what.. Just curious if ya had any info on it, speed..
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/mangler0075/0426091234a_00012.jpg
John jr

John jr, 26p Bravo I props should be to small for the power output and drive lower usage. Randy is right, should be minimum of a 30p prop. I had 330HP at 4650 and used 28p Bravo I props. As for the handling, does the boat have offshore external steering? If so, check the gimbal rings for play. Check your tie bar and correct fasteners and are they tight? Trusting that the drives have the stock bravo lowers, that boat should be solid. Not enough power or prop to be transom lifting the boat to affect handling in a severe manner as you describe.

ROTAX454
06-24-2009, 09:30 AM
John Jr. What year is the boat? Some early 31's built with just the merc internal steering. Perhaps Mr. Kleim decided which steering to use based upon power output choice.

Fenderjack
06-24-2009, 09:40 AM
Thanks guys, BOAT is a 94. The props are spinning out on this boat. will it pick up mph by spinning them in like on alot of v bottoms.. It doesn't have external steering, but has the shocks that help reduce the slop, not make it as harsh.. The 415 hp might be what was said,I am going off memeroy here... I am not sure but it felt like it was running mid 70-low 80 but never let it settle down. It def didn't run the 94 like the owner stated and I would bet on it... Just trying to get some info on it for my buddy, he is kinda pissed with it cause of all the bugs. LOL As far as clean, it is def a super super clean boat for being a 94..

John jr

tssteph
06-24-2009, 10:16 AM
With 26 pitch props it will not run 90 anything unless spinning the motors wayyyy to high.

Check the prop slip calculator.

Laktrash
06-28-2009, 10:59 AM
I have a 94 with 502's When I first got it probably 12 years or so ago it just had merc steering with just a tie bar. It was awlful the steering wheel had a 1/4 to 1/2 turn play in it really wasn't safe. I had latham external steering added drives like dream. As far as props and speed I've done minor upgrades dana flows, k&n, cam, computer reprogram. realistic speed low to mid 80's i have 28 bravo props that I don't like because they don't seem to carry boat well. I run 28 hydromotives I have two sets one with diffuser ring one without. The diffuser rings are the better they get the boat on plane easier. the hydro's seem give better lift and ride. The bravo's break on plane quicker and carry loads better. I can't see 90's with 400 hp it's a pretty heavy boat I turn about 5200 rpm. All the props have been worked ,labbed, whatever the term is. One other thing if he has thru hull pickup do something about water pressure. This has caused alot of problems and $$ I was running over 60 lbs instead reccomended 24 lbs really hard on gaskets and other things. sorry 'bout spelling I just woke up

ROTAX454
06-28-2009, 07:27 PM
One other thing if he has thru hull pickup do something about water pressure. This has caused alot of problems and $$ I was running over 60 lbs instead reccomended 24 lbs really hard on gaskets and other things. sorry 'bout spelling I just woke up

Easy solution. Install a Merc water pressure relief valve between the sea pump and the motor. Be ready to spend some $$$$. But, it's spend some now, or spend lot's more later.

ROTAX454
06-28-2009, 07:31 PM
It doesn't have external steering, but has the shocks that help reduce the slop, not make it as harsh..
John jr

John jr, Your friend had better consider purchasing/installing an external offshore style steering system. Look around. Some used complete units are for sale. Handling at speed with his boat is simply---------unsafe.

Fenderjack
06-28-2009, 08:30 PM
Yes I had rec'd that to him, as far as water pressure goes and it def is holding 2 much, well more then 24, we had seen that it was, knew it wasn't good.. I will let him know about the valves.. He is new to a cat...

Thanks John jr

Laktrash
06-30-2009, 06:15 PM
when I first found out the problems the valves were on back order the I was told they were bad to break resolved the problem by brazing part of the clamshell opening closed to limit water flow. I think the part # is 863208a 3 or use to be I think for the valve

Ran-Dom 32
06-30-2009, 06:30 PM
when I repowered, I had the hull pick up's filled in & used the drive to pick up water, I still had to add the water relieve valves, but no issues now

Fenderjack
07-13-2009, 07:00 PM
LIL update on the boat, some things.. I was off in the first post, thew boat will spin the 26's to 6k no prob.. I have a set of 28's bravos lined up, he is gona try them.. I am also going to get him to spin them in.. seems that it needs way to much trim to get the bow up, but once it is up the boat runs beautiful.. Then next he def needs is the external steering.. The huge water press prob has been fixed with ball valves (about 55 bucks for the pair) and the press is at 23 or so psi when running... Hopefully the bravos lift the bow, the stern a lil while they spin in... All in all he is happy now but it just took a lil, didn't think it needed as much trim to lift the bow, but hey they are hydros on it now.... So with the bravos i would bet that this thing should run in the 80's no prob

John jr

Laktrash
07-14-2009, 07:27 PM
Try to find some 28 hydros mine rides and lifts so much better with hydro's than bravos all have been worked

Fenderjack
07-14-2009, 10:03 PM
We put a set of 28 bravos on it today.. Night and day difference on how the boat acted... Def seemed to settle the boat, no where near as much drive trim to carry the boat.. But just like the 26 hydros this thing spun the 28's to 5900 no prob... On a side note they only got us about 77 on the gps, kinda slow, but it needs more wheel... I need to find out who did the engines in this boat, what kinda power they are.... Anybody have any info on that part... We are looking for a set of 30's to try out and see what happens... Also gona try to spin the props in with the next set of props... I am not sure if it ran faster with the bravos over the hydros but def didn't get the cavitation getting on plane with the B's and was a world better... Let me get any info on the engines if anybody has some..... They def ahve more ass then 415 hp if it is doing the R's it is with the 28's...

Thanks

John jr

StephenA
07-15-2009, 11:59 AM
I had met the original owner of the boat from the Cleveland area and I believe he told me that Gellner had done a little work to them. Not sure on specifics. Original owners name was Denny, or Dennis.

Fenderjack
07-15-2009, 03:04 PM
I had met the original owner of the boat from the Cleveland area and I believe he told me that Gellner had done a little work to them. Not sure on specifics. Original owners name was Denny, or Dennis.

Really, so Dean could have possibly been into these things. I would like to talk to the orig owner on it, wonder if he is a member here??? Hmmmm..
Thanks keep it coming if anybody has it...

John jr

mrhorsepower1
07-16-2009, 08:39 PM
Call me at the shop tomorrow, I can fill you in. Thanks!

Dean

Fenderjack
07-16-2009, 08:40 PM
Call me at the shop tomorrow, I can fill you in. Thanks!

Dean

I spoke to the orig owner today, he told me what they were, what he had ya do... Now we gota figure out if the tachs are off, cause it seems that the 28's rev as easy or up the the same R's as the 26's... Also he said the boat would run 90+ but I don't see that happening with that power in it. I give ya a call..

John jr

tssteph
07-20-2009, 10:19 AM
When I bought my AO the tacs were set on 6 cylinder. The logic from the prior owner was that it had the modules from a 6 cylinder as they are on 6. He fought poor slip number and kept putting larger props on to compensate for high rpm. If the tacs are set on 6 cylinder the actual rpms are 25% less then what the tac says. In my case 6000 rpm was 4500 once set correctly. and of course the slip number come more inline.

Ran-Dom 32
08-05-2009, 08:02 PM
done with it already? how did he get it to 90+:lolhit:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifieds/1995_awsome_cat_3100_thunder_cat-o30269-en.html

ROTAX454
08-08-2009, 09:31 AM
done with it already? how did he get it to 90+:lolhit:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifieds/1995_awsome_cat_3100_thunder_cat-o30269-en.html

I too trying to understand the 90+ statement. I tried to calculate the prop + rpm + outdrive ratio + avg slip rate
just doesn't add up to 90 mph. Sorry.

Ran-Dom 32
08-08-2009, 10:54 AM
It's called sales BS... takes min. 500hp's to break 90, been there, done that:drink:

tssteph
08-11-2009, 12:31 PM
yep I agree

jbbeard
09-12-2009, 11:32 PM
This is a heavy and safe forgiving boat design. It has a Chris Cat bottom. To get it to go 100 MPH is very expensive because of the weight. You need 700HP+ motors, extention boxes, hull level X demintions and 5 blade 31 or 32 props spinning at 5500 RPM+. I know cause I been there and done that 105 MPH thing with my 1997 - I think the hull will do 120 with stellings and a few more HP but I'm done! good luck with yours-

Fenderjack
09-13-2009, 02:48 AM
Yes I have that fig out, thought that after we swap props .Flat out the boat went 77mph with 28p bravos.. I called and spoke with the owner, was told by him the boat had fresh bbc drop ins along with the intake, header, carbs. He said that the boat would run 90 with 26p hydro's on it that was on it when my buddy got it (LMAO) I didnt argue just talked to him, nice guy but not no 90mph ride sorry. That listing posted up was my buddys, I asked he why he kept the 90 mph in the listing, it is pretty much the same word for word listing he got the boat from sooo. It is gone and sold to a new owner, from what i understand he is very happy with it...

John jr