Starter bolts snap off last night....PICS >

Starter bolts snap off last night....PICS

Notices

Starter bolts snap off last night....PICS

Old 07-04-2009, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter bolts snap off last night....PICS

Well its not a high performance set-up/boat but I figured i would share my night with everyone. My buddy's starter on his 4cyl 3.0L broke yesterday resulting in snaping off the 2 bolts bolting the starter into the block. He gave up all hope and was upset that he was going to miss out on the July 4th weekend fun. I convinced him we should just yank the motor and drill out the broken bolts real quick...
I towed him around with my boat and loaded his boat up and got it to the shop at about 10:30 last night. As I yanked the drive he disconnected the motor. One issue was the two rear bellhousing bolts gave us a fight but we managed to get them removed. Got the motor up and I drilled out the two broken bolts with a reverse drill bit. Installed the starter with new bolts, got it bolted back up and ready to go about 2:30 this morning...
He is washing and getting ready to get it back in the water as we speak. He was amazed it wasnt a HUGE project and thanked me, but hey thats what friends are for...

Last edited by crapr6; 07-04-2009 at 08:17 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:18 AM
Registered

Thats the spirit!!

I have a friend like that.... when one of my motors locked up, he talked me into bringing the boat to the shop the next morning. We had both motors out in 4.5 hours.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by niceguy
Thats the spirit!!

I have a friend like that.... when one of my motors locked up, he talked me into bringing the boat to the shop the next morning. We had both motors out in 4.5 hours.
I used to work for a marine and I explained to him that it should only take 2 of us 30-45mins max to get the motor out, but since the 2 rear bellhousing bolts gave us a fight it took use an hour. He was so upset and ready to just buy another boat and scrap his current boat. I convinced him that is the worst thing he could do......
Old 07-04-2009, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like the starter bolts maybe were not tourqued properly. Glad to see you were able to get it fixed quickly
Old 07-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 502ss
Sounds like the starter bolts maybe were not tourqued properly. Glad to see you were able to get it fixed quickly
No the new starter he put in was no good. At the end of the starter shaft where the gear slides out to engage the flywheel has a shim set at the end of that shaft so the gear willn't move out to far. Well the shim's broke and that made the gear move out to far and smashed the flywheel and pushed the starter. I guess from the stress of the starter getting pushed caused the bolts snap. Oh well its fixed now and he's ready to rock out
Old 07-04-2009, 01:20 PM
Registered

Nice job. U are a good buddy for sure.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by happy hours
Nice job. U are a good buddy for sure.
My buddy would do the same for me if I ever needed a hand...Its hard to come by friends like this thats for sure. I have helped "friends" out before and when I need a hand myself alot of them would turn there back's to me and thats not a true friend.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:43 AM
Registered

what is that a old Z1 in the background!
Old 07-09-2009, 05:38 PM
Registered

The dirtbikes in the back ground? One is a old cr60.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:02 AM
Registered

sorry foreground

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.