Notices

Nosecone Epoxy or Weld?

Old 07-15-2009, 09:28 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Nosecone Epoxy or Weld?

I have the nosecones on the way, just wondering what is the better way to mount them. Welding them on or using the epoxy? I am sure there are advantages to both, but what are those advantages? I am leaning towards epoxy since I do not have a jig to hold them straight while welding.

Thanks
Old 07-15-2009, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say Epoxy is the only way to go. You can't be sure it is going to help and if it is welded on could be difficult to remove. I would also be concerned about potential damage to seals or other parts welding. My boat ran 78 with my old motor. Trying to break the magic 80 I bought and installed a nose cone from Eddie Marine. Once installed, molded in perfectly and painted it looked great. It looked 10 MPH faster sitting on the trailer. I put it in the water and tried it out and was 4 MPH slower. I went home and took a hammer and knocked it off. I hear that if you are over 80 already it might help, and that it should help if you are over 90. With my new motor I am pulling 86 but I am seeing good slip numbers so I am not sure I would gain anything.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:59 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Epoxy is the way to go.The heat from welding can distort the case.There is a bearing on the end of the prop shaft in the nose of the case and you don't want to chance changing it's alignment in the case.Epoxy works fine. It usually comes with the nose cone when you buy one.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to be different ,I would definately tack it on with a few small welds then fill with epoxy .If you are getting a Bobs kit make sure both parts are a "Honey" like consistancy ,if they are harder they have gone off.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:54 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would weld because I have had them fall off the outboards and then you have a cooked motor. That is not the case with the TRS of course but it could take out your prop. I don't think you need to weld it on much more then a few tacks along witht he epoxy seems like it would be the way to go. But like others have said unless you are going 80 or so I don't think you will see an advantage.