Notices

Gimble/Transom assembly?

Old 08-02-2009, 05:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gimble/Transom assembly?

Hey Guys!

The Gimble bearing/seal on my 24ft Outlaw is shot, there is a very small leak into the boat from around the seal and there is alot of side by side "play" in the outdrive.

I had the outdrive checked and its fine, gears are good, no wear or stuff in the oil or anything like that, the trim pump and rams work fine and other than the gimble bearing [which is apparantly a BIG job] everything else is fine.

My question is: Do I HAVE to buy a complete transom assembly?, or can I just change the gimble housing assembly? I want this fixed, but, dont want to end up doing the job twice, conversely, I dont want to spend a bunch of money that I dont need to, and could waste on something else!, LOL

Thanks for the input!
Michael

PS: The gimble housing assembly I have looked at is a factory Merc unit, thats brand new and includes the bearing and swivel piin seal.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

changing the gimble bearing itself is no big deal at all, if its the housing you have to change, its a little bit more of an ordeal. A leak at the bearing means the bellows or outdrive o ring is leaking, also not a big deal. You need to try and determine if your side to side play is excessive or within spec. If you just need a bearing replaced along with some bellows, your gonna be getting by considerably cheaper
Old 08-04-2009, 06:28 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

my guess its the ring or the housing, sometimes you can replace the nylon bushion at the pin but you need to determine if its the ring or the housing or both, ring is a big deal, housing, not so much
Old 08-04-2009, 02:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

It sounds like you are getting water in through the swivel seal in the top of the housing. It isn't the gimbal bearing or the gimbal bearing seal.

The odds are pretty good that the degredation of the pin and the ring are what is also causing your "play". Ron Bender at www.JRmarine.com is a respected member on here who can fix your ring and you can replace the swivel pin and seal.

Check out his website and it will clarify what I am talking about. I fixed my swivel seals this spring because one was leaking. I recommend replacing EVERYTHING while you have it all off - Bushings, pins, Bearings, Gimbal Bearing, seals, Hoses, bellows, etc..... Pricey but fantastic peace of mind...
Old 08-04-2009, 03:09 PM
Registered

Hey Seaford!

Yeah, you are RIGHT on the money, it IS the swivel pin and seal, I hear its a huge deal to fix? will check out the website and see if it will work for me, might be easier just to replace the transom assembly and be done with it?

What do you think?, Thanks again for the input!
Michael
Old 08-11-2009, 12:09 PM
Jerry B
Platinum Member

I dont know what this kit cost but I paid 3 grand for a new transom assembly and the engine has to come out to install it. My transom assembly had several problems but if this swivel pin was the only issue I had this is what I would do.

Good luck.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:10 AM
Registered

Agree with seafordguy. Peace of mind if your going to do it, do it and forget about it.

I just picked up brand new transom assemblies for $1950.00 each, included freight right to my dock. FWIW.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:09 PM
Registered

If the swivel pin is shot, why replace the gimbal ring too? Does the pin wear a larger hole in the gimbal ring? Help me understand, I may have to deal with this issue as we speak.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sleek1
If the swivel pin is shot, why replace the gimbal ring too? Does the pin wear a larger hole in the gimbal ring? Help me understand, I may have to deal with this issue as we speak.
Guys, Depending upon the weight of the boat and your power level, you may want to go up one level to the Merc HP transom assembly. Do keep in mind that the Bell Housing vertical swivel points DO NOT accept the electric trim senders. For those who do not have mechanical trim senders, this is a method in which you can still have an electrical trim sender.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:24 PM
Registered

For details on using an electrical trim sender on an HP Bell housing, see this link. This is all Merc stuff so get ready to break open the cookie jar.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...nce+Transom%29

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.