sloppy steering linkage/ Bravo >

sloppy steering linkage/ Bravo

Notices

sloppy steering linkage/ Bravo

Old 08-11-2009, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sloppy steering linkage/ Bravo

I have noticed that there seems to be a lot of movement with my Bravo 1 outdrive (a few inches in both directions) when i grab the lower unit and apply pressure. I sat in the engine comp. while someone else moved it and the linkage that is visible doesn't move while the outdrive is wiggled back and forth. I am not sure exactly what type of steering I have. I know that a mechanical cable comes from the helm and somehow attaches to what looks like a small hydraulic armiture which is mounted to the transom plate. I do have a power steering pump that supplies fluid to the system.
Anyway, I have also noticed that at very low speeds, (approx. idle to about 1500 RPM) the boat tracks back and forth across a center-line. In addition at higher speeds (especially in a light chop) when the bow comes down into the trough of a wave, I have to steer quite a bit to keep it straight. Is there a connection to the sloppy linkage? The boat is a 1990 Baja 250 ES. Thanks.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Registered

I have the same problem. Possible worn gimble ring.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Registered

Bad gimble ring.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:13 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is probably a worn gimble & pinion. The problem is all of the labor to repair it & the cost of the parts. It sometimes makes more sense to replace the transom assembly depending on the age & condition of the other items in yours. I can get you a price on a mercruiser one if you would like. Jamie / Lakeside
Old 08-12-2009, 06:13 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the insights. Jamie I would like a price on the parts that I would need to fix my problem. I feel like I could do the work myself with a little advice from some manuals and the all-to-valuable internet. What does it mean that the pinion is bad? The linkage on the inside of the transom seems good.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:17 PM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nbchance
Thanks for all the insights. Jamie I would like a price on the parts that I would need to fix my problem. I feel like I could do the work myself with a little advice from some manuals and the all-to-valuable internet. What does it mean that the pinion is bad? The linkage on the inside of the transom seems good.
The Pinion is the shaft that goes into the gimble ring. I will be glad to give you a price. PM me your contact info/phone #. Or email it to me directly at [email protected] & I will call you. Jamie/ Lakeside