Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
496Mag Raw water cooling problem? >

496Mag Raw water cooling problem?

Notices

496Mag Raw water cooling problem?

Old 09-21-2009, 03:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496Mag Raw water cooling problem?

While replacing manifold on starboard side i removed raw water drain attached to back of water pump. When i went to replace i noticed it had been on wrong. The main water inlet hose from transom 1.25 was on the outlet side of drain that feeds port side and hose from port side feed was attached to bottom main inlet feed for water pump. i pulled up Schematic to verify and it was wrong. The inlet hose should be 1.5 inch and current 1.25 hose will not fit to correct. If i switch to new 1.5 hose i doubt it will tighten down enough on transom inlet that is 1.25.

How can i fix this? What im thinking is to splice in a new piece of 1.5 with a barbed reducer 1.5 to 1.25. I'm figuring when repower was done they used original hose from 454 and 496 uses a larger diameter hose 1.5. I do not want to pull motor to change transom fitting.

Hose 5 and 15 reversed in first diagram.

Last edited by wilstruck; 09-21-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did i correct problem or made it worse?

Is this correct?? Port side water feed attaches to top of water drain actuator and main (raw water line) from transom attaches to bottom of actuator (according to first diagram) ? I rebuilt pump replaced all lines with correct sizes and now have no water pumping and want to verify that i did correct the lines.