Notices

MDS Ignition

Old 09-23-2009, 10:21 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MDS Ignition

I know this is a little controversial, but is the MSD marine ignition set up worth the hassle. I have heard alot about keeping a spare msd box (since they like to go out). What about the ignition coil. Is it worth staying with the stock merc coil? I can understand a little improvement on paper, but will I see anything on the water. Is it worth putting on or not?
Old 09-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I thought an MSD coil would be better on my 525SC. No difference and the MSD only lasted 2 seasons. I put a 10+ year old merc coil back on and it was fine.

I would just look for a V8-HP ignititon module for what you have.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:15 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Disregard the V8-HP module suggestion since you have a TB V and MPI engine. I would just leave it alone or work with somebody on recalibrating the ECM and adjusting the timing curve.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:24 AM
Registered

I haven't ordered one recently, but I understand that S&S (bought crane cams' assets) has the ignition / electronics products (including hi-6m ignition) and motorcycle valve train products back on line.

I like them a lot better than an msd set-up if you're going that kind of route. The last suggestion is probably the best...

Last edited by wtfo; 09-25-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:37 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

That I am not sure about Crane, I am about to give up on them. I am also thinking about scratching the the whole MPI set up and go carbed. I think I can add more hp going old school.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
I thought an MSD coil would be better on my 525SC. No difference and the MSD only lasted 2 seasons. I put a 10+ year old merc coil back on and it was fine.

I would just look for a V8-HP ignititon module for what you have.
i was facing similar to the same thing recently and just ended up going with the stock set up in my 496's. i have read way to many threads on failures with all the other types of ignitions on the market. i've ran stock TB's with up to 675 hp with no problems. on the other hand i never really did comparisons with other ignitions to know if one was better than the other however the stock ignition has always been very reliable.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:32 PM
Registered

http://69.20.53.62/

s&s is a decent outfit. I've bought bike parts from them for years and am fixin to order a new ignition...