Dana Marine Billlet Shifter Problems >

Dana Marine Billlet Shifter Problems

Notices

Dana Marine Billlet Shifter Problems

Old 10-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dana Marine Billlet Shifter Problems

I have had issues with this shifter from day one. The detent for neutral is not strong enough. I have to wiggle the shift lever to find neutral so the starter will engage. I have contacted Dana marine and they tell me I am the only one with the issue and it must be something in my cables or drive. I have replaced all the cables. It is easy to shift into gear there is just not enough detent force. I have two questions.
1. Anyone else heard of this issue?
2. Is it possible to adjust the cables so there is slack at the shifter and it still shift into gear correctly?
I figure if there is slack in the cable the detent will have less to work against.

Last edited by mtocrs1; 10-08-2009 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 10-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Registered

We went over quite a few things in a detailed conversation. One of which was to tighten the nuetral detent tension. Have you tried adjusting that yet?

Last edited by dana marine products; 10-09-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dana marine products
We went over quite a few things in a detailed conversation. One of which was to tighten the nuetral detent tension. Have you tried adjusting that yet?
Can you refresh my memory on what was discussed? I seem to recall the conversations differently.
I have adjusted the neutral detent tension as you described in our original conversation. This did not work. I informed someone (not sure if this was you) of this in a follow up call. I also explained that the detent adjustment really does not seem to make a difference even with nothing hooked to the shifter. At this point I was told that they have never had this issue before and that it must be something in my set up?
In both the original and second conversation I was told not to adjust the tension too much because something in the detent is plastic and could risk breaking it if tightened too much? Is this correct? Could it be that whatever this piece is has been broken in mine since day one?
Don’t get me wrong here I like the shifter. Just trying to get it to perform, as it should
Old 10-10-2009, 01:31 PM
Registered

The tension adjustment is a delrin nose ball spring. It's a one piece unit that can be removed and checked if necessary. You should be able to adjust it down to a point where you can't move the handle. I've never had one break, but anything's possible. Let me know what you find.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:38 AM
Registered

My throttle throw stroke lgth. as twice as much as the cable/carb throw stroke lgth. I run out of cable/carb throw stroke at only half way to full throttle position on my shifter assembly. Is there another way to hook my cables up so I utalize all of my throttle throw stroke?
Old 04-20-2010, 08:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 27 MAGNUM
My throttle throw stroke lgth. as twice as much as the cable/carb throw stroke lgth. I run out of cable/carb throw stroke at only half way to full throttle position on my shifter assembly. Is there another way to hook my cables up so I utalize all of my throttle throw stroke?
Mine is the same way but I dont mind, it gives the illusion that the engine is more responsive. Thats the first thing one of my buddies thought after driving my boat with the new throttle installed. Maybe the Dana marine guy will chime in with ideas for you.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:25 PM
Registered

Mine is not Dana Marine its a throttle/shifter out of an Apache...
Old 04-21-2010, 04:00 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

You probably have different holes to connect the cables to the shifters. Changing the hole will change the throw. It really depends on what controls you have.