Stainless Windshield frame

Notices
Formula

Stainless Windshield frame

Old 10-12-2009, 07:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Stainless Windshield frame

Here's a question for a real Formula expert! I have a 89 357 that....well it's become more then a hobby. I don't think there is more then dozen bolts in the whole thing that haven't touched.

The anodized aluminum windshield frame has some scratches and I've seen the frames on the newer Formulas are much nicer and heavier and looks like stainless. I have searched the web for 2 days without finding a suitable channel and rubber insert stock. I was thinking about calling Formula but, I'm afraid to ask the price. I can't be the only old Formula junky that wants to do this
Old 10-12-2009, 09:05 PM
Registered

Yeah, the newer frames are stainless. All I can say is between aluminum and stainless, I'll take aluminum because it doesn't get hot and burn the sh!t out of you after it's been in the sun all day.

Are you sure your frame is anodized? If you are into it as much as it sounds, you could polish the aluminum frame.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:21 PM
Registered

i thought all 89 s had ss windshields that was the draw for me i have never seen a aluminum frame on that year post a pic of yours
Old 10-17-2009, 09:15 PM
Registered

wll the new windshild frames fit on the old 357?
Old 10-18-2009, 10:21 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The stainless windshield frame is now standard on 382's. When it was an option, it was a additional $5,000+.... I don't know if a 382 frame will fit a 357 - that's a TAG group question. I have the silver powdercoated frame, and am glad I do. I am considering having some of the top extrusions re-coated, but that shouldn't be a big deal. You might consider the same. I'm pretty sure that powdercoat can go directly over anodizing.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:44 PM
Registered

Cool

c spray- Yeah I thought about powder coating. But a new heavy stainless piece would be much nicer. Now I gotta ask a question that I assume I should know....What is a TAG group?

I think if I could find the stock, I can figure out how to bend it to replace the top rail and hide all of that black rubber.