8.2 Mag HO...2010 >

8.2 Mag HO...2010

Notices

8.2 Mag HO...2010

Old 10-29-2009, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8.2 Mag HO...2010

Well i read about it in this months Powerboat mag but it does not go into too much detail. Looks a hell of a lot better than the 496's did i see that much. Custom pistons and rods. Catalyzed, as mentioned in earlier threads and 5 more ponies.
Mercury's website still shows the 496 in its lineup. Are builders dropping in the new power for their 2010's

Looks like tubular headers being the most popular upgrade.
Attached Thumbnails 8.2 Mag HO...2010-82mag.jpg  
Old 11-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Registered

nobody cares i guess....
Old 11-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

This is Mercruisers new 502 cubic inch Emissions Compliant engine with all the 496 type systems installed and a special catalytic converter exhaust sytem. It will only be available in 385HP and 430HP versions .You will not be able to convert the exhaust to tubular system or make modifications to this engine or you will void the 3-5 year engine warranty & emissions warranty that it is required to have.
This engine will become a "BUY IT, DON'T TOUCH IT OR MODIFY IT ENGINE" here in the future.
You will have to go with Mercury Racing power or other high performance marine engine companies like ourselves with power levels over 500HP to escape this new emissions requirements and restrictions until 2011 and after that who knows??

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 11-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

I talked to the "Merc Racing" guy (there was only 1 guy there from merc racing) at the Ft Lauderdale show and he said that only applies to CA.... They have to make it catalyzed for the CA market emissions bullcrap. I asked him how it performs with tubular exhaust and he said GREAT, I think thats what most non-CA residents will do anyway ... you sure it voids the warranty? BTW - The catalyzed exhaust looks hideous!

He said "This engine is nothing more than a detuned 525 with a raised intake manifold for torque"
Old 11-04-2009, 01:25 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Kieth:
good to hear some other information on this new engine from Mercury, but its not a Mercury Racing built or manufactured engine, its a Stillwater produced engine I believe. This engine is the only big block non racing engine Mercury will offer to all US boatbuilders in all staes as I understand.
I am not sure though about his CA only statement as the new all states FED EPA rules call for catelized marine emmission engines for all states I believe where the engines are under 500HP. The new emission engines must have by law a 3 or 4 year emissions system warranty which also covers exhaust and induction and certain other engine systems which specifically by law does not allow any changes, modifications or rework of any of these systems on the engine after it is sold. This is what I have been informed of by the EPA, NMMA and certain industry contacts. If this has been changed or modified recently I am not aware of any other exemptions. Obvously anyone can buy one and modify the exhaust and void the warranty, but with the electronic emissions controls I am not sure it could be reprogrammed for modifications. Even though these new exhaust are big and ugly I am also not so sure they will rob alot of horsepower as they may have a pretty good runner and riser systems as Mercury has been making in the last 7 or so years on the 496.

I think this new 502 Mercruiser engine has new oval port (for torque) aluminum heads and a newly modified version of the oval port 500-525EFI intake manifold with a new top plenum which is configured for a round 90mm throttlebody that will allow DTS type control. I don't know all the specs on the engine or internals, but it could have all forged internals.
I am not sure its blueprinted like the HP525's and I am not so sure it can produce equivalent HP levels with its heads and a modified exhaust system.
I am also curious if you or anyone has been given an idea of what this new engine will sell for, but I will guess and say a lot more than the 496 it is replacing, especially with the expensive emissions equipment and systems.

We can thank those wonderful people in the air quality management industry and legislators who think a few thousand boats will ever have a reasonably measurable effect on air quality for their limited operating hours annually versus the millions and millions of trucks and vehicles plying our roads highways and byways??
But remember if they don't come up with and get all this legislation and laws in place, they won't have the jobs their wondeful industry has created!! MAKE LAWS-MAKE WORK!!
Sound familiar?? Sleep tight , your elected officials are awake tonight!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 11-15-2009, 07:08 AM
Registered

I found a little youtube video of the new 502/8.2L engine with a guy from mercruiser talking a little bit about the new engine while at a boat show, Here is the link to it, It's 3:16 long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM7JFBUs8GA
Old 11-16-2009, 02:38 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Ray,

Are you still going to be able to provide engine exchanges?
I was thinking about one of your kits when I have to rebuild
my 496 HO.

Warren
Old 11-25-2009, 01:49 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,212 Likes on 525 Posts

Any new info? Pricing? Availability?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM7JFBUs8GA
http://marineenginedigest.com/profil...uiser_8-2L.htm
http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/home/5...ble-in-january

Last edited by Sydwayz; 11-25-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:37 AM
Registered

Nothing new yet that I have seen, But here is one more to add to this list.

http://www.brunswick.com/news/newsst.../2/1324095.php
Old 12-18-2009, 08:35 PM
Registered

Anyone know why they didn't want to use this LSA 6.2....??

http://www.gm.com/experience/technol...LSA_Marine.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.