mercury racing ITS >

mercury racing ITS

Notices

mercury racing ITS

Old 11-22-2009, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mercury racing ITS

anyone familiar with the ITS system? were they advantageous? reason being is i need a gimbal ring and steering pin in my bravo set up and cost for cost i found a complete ITS transom assembly for same money, and hydraulic steering is something i was considering also at this time as my speeds are exceeding 70 on gps. is there any rise to the x with this 7" set back? what steering system do i need for use with these rams? any info greatly appreciated.
///////// my boat is a single small block 24' excalibur marine with a pad and 280 k-planes
Old 11-22-2009, 04:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ITS is a nice system. It gives you an extension box with hydraulic steering rams in one clean system.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

You'll have to change the drive input shaft.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MER Performance
You'll have to change the drive input shaft.
+ new helm and hoses.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I replaced a Bravo 1 with a complete ITS on a 24 Pantera. and it worked very nicely. Direct bolt on with no modification. If you buy a the transom assembly and matching drive you will not need a longer input shaft. If you use your bravo you will. I was also looking a at hydraulic steering. It cost me more in the end but it is a very nice system and I bought a complete unit so also upgraded to an XR Drive.
The setback is sven inches back which will lower the drive close to an inch. It will change the balance of the boat but worst case you only really need to change the prop. I went from a bravo 1 or Rev 4 to a hydromotive and it was fine.
Handling was also improved and the hydraulic steering made a huge difference on the Pantera. I was also running in the low 70s and that did not really change. I did add CMIs at the same time. I believe I lost a few mph with the XR and got them back with the CMIs.
Good luck,
Greg
Old 11-23-2009, 08:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pantera572
I replaced a Bravo 1 with a complete ITS on a 24 Pantera. and it worked very nicely. Direct bolt on with no modification. If you buy a the transom assembly and matching drive you will not need a longer input shaft. If you use your bravo you will. I was also looking a at hydraulic steering. It cost me more in the end but it is a very nice system and I bought a complete unit so also upgraded to an XR Drive.
The setback is sven inches back which will lower the drive close to an inch. It will change the balance of the boat but worst case you only really need to change the prop. I went from a bravo 1 or Rev 4 to a hydromotive and it was fine.
Handling was also improved and the hydraulic steering made a huge difference on the Pantera. I was also running in the low 70s and that did not really change. I did add CMIs at the same time. I believe I lost a few mph with the XR and got them back with the CMIs.
Good luck,
Greg
thanks /who's steering did you add to the its ? was it power assisted or no ? what did your x end up being ? or propshaft to bottom measurement? input shaft being longer from u-joint forward or shaft coming out of drive? why did you feel you lost some with the xr?
Old 11-23-2009, 07:18 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Used a IMCO helm to have full hydraulic to the helm. Used the power steering pump on the 496. Took off the power assist with the Bravo transom assemby. I had a mechanic do the drive swap which required pulling the engine. I then plumbed the steering and installed the helm. I was told my x dimension was 17 from the factory. I don't have the boat any longer to measure. The propshaft was in the neighborhood of 5" below the bottom, I believe. I have read that the xr drive will normally eat up a couple MPH due to the gear cut vs a bravo 1. Stronger but uses more power to turn. You can search that for more information. You also won't have to drill any holes in the transom to mount the hydraulic cylinders. Your handling will be improved by the hydraulic system with no play in it as well as the drive being furthur back.
With your tabs, the ITS will look excellent on the boat.
If you post your email I can shoot you a photo.
Greg
Old 11-23-2009, 08:31 PM
Registered

thanks you sir! [email protected]