Notices

Hi Amp Alternator

Old 11-22-2009, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hi Amp Alternator

Hey Guys

I am looking at upgrading my alternator over the winter, I have added a pile of audio in the boat and would like something that puts out more than the stock [55amp?] alternator now. I know some of the "car stereo" guys use hi amp alternators and "mini alternators" Does anyone make a high output marine alternator, I am looking for the most amps I can get. My boat is powered by a single 454EFI and uses a V belt to drive the alternator.

I have seen a few "car" alternators that use a single wire, my alternator has 4 wires coming out of it, I have been told 1 of the wires in for the tach, but, not sure? Can I use a single wire alternator? I am open to using a reoworked "stock" style alternator, or an aftermarket one, but, it must be a Marine alternator.

Thanks!
Michael
Old 11-23-2009, 01:26 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

The Tach wire comes off the neg side of the coil.

I hope you've added a battery or 2 for the additional stereo stuff. If not, you need to. Make sure to use a marine grade alternator that has spark protection. I know there are marine alternators that put out more than 55 amps, but not sure where to get them.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 105amp marine alternators are from dbelectrical.com
Old 11-23-2009, 06:06 PM
Registered

Thanks!

Yes, I currently have 4 Optima Batteries, 2 for starting and 2 for the stereo, they are hooked to 2 Battery disconnect swtiches [set up as "banks"] I also have a on board charger and I used good cables/connectors in the install.

If the tach comes off the neg side of the coil, what do the other wires from the alternator do? There are 2 red wires [1 large and one small] and 2 black wires [1 large, 1 small] I assume the large red is "Power" and the large black is "Ground" Any idea what the smaller red/black wires are? and could I use a "1 wire" set up without a pile of work?

Appreciate the Input Thanks!, Will check out the link and see what they have to offer!

Michael
Old 11-23-2009, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

We have several options for you from the traditional 55 & 94 all the way up to 120amp. Let us know if we can help.
http://www.cpperformance.com/SearchR...anufacturer=47
Old 11-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Registered

Thanks!

I think that I will go with DB Electric, they offer a 140 amp marine model, thats quite affordable [Thanks "Blue Thunder"!] but, I will Email CP soon, I need new Gauges for my boat and would like to go to the Auto Meter marine carbon fibre style, THANKS!

Michael
Old 11-23-2009, 08:17 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Ohio Generator makes them as well. Be sure to check the power curve as most alts need rpms to make power. Alot of alternators will make the same charge at idle so if your just trying to start your boat and charge your batteries they may not work any better than stock. If your running WOT they work much better. Just a lesson learned. I wouldnt spend the money with out doing some additional research or you might have spent your $$ for no reason.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:22 PM
Registered

Thanks Anchor!

That IS something I checked out actually, the 140amp unit I looked at puts out 85 amps at "idle" and full amperage at 1200 RPM, so, I am thinking even at a "slow" cruise I should be getting plenty of power. I will check out Ohio Generator and see what they have, I talked to a kid that lives up the street from me that has one of these "rice burners" with about 150 speakers in it, and he runs a 200 amp alternator, but, its not a marine unit, I was suprised how small it was though! I think it was a "Powermaster" or something like that.

Thanks!
Michael
Old 11-23-2009, 09:36 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by n20michael
Thanks Anchor!

That IS something I checked out actually, the 140amp unit I looked at puts out 85 amps at "idle" and full amperage at 1200 RPM, so, I am thinking even at a "slow" cruise I should be getting plenty of power. I will check out Ohio Generator and see what they have, I talked to a kid that lives up the street from me that has one of these "rice burners" with about 150 speakers in it, and he runs a 200 amp alternator, but, its not a marine unit, I was suprised how small it was though! I think it was a "Powermaster" or something like that.

Thanks!
Michael
If you can find someone that really knows about the batteries you have you may check with them as well as some batteries can only charge so fast. Has to do with the amphours of the batteries if I remember correctly which with the number of beers I've had since I put one on my 25 may not be much. I know that you can spend a pile and not get the results you want. If the batteries cant take all the charge then well your spinning your prop for nothing. I know when I did it i went with a 120A alt as anything bigger was wasted. I carried 2 100AH batteries. Here is a good battery site. The guy that runs it is very knowledgeable. http://www.ebatteriestogo.com/Trojan..._Batteries.htm

I know your not looking for batteries but you might talk with the guy about how much and how fast a battery can take a charge. You might check it out.

Will
Old 11-24-2009, 09:45 PM
Registered

LOL@ Beers!!! Thanks Will!

I have 4 Optima Marine batteries now, will check the amp hours rating on them, Will check out the website too! Thanks again, I spoke with a fella today who claims to be safe you should have 70 Amps for every 1000 Watts, now, he said that would be for 1000 "real" watts, not the 1000 Watt Amp you buy at Wal Mart for $29! LOL! So, I am looking at around 200 Amps to be "safe"

Will see whats out there and do some more research, thanks again for ALL the help!

Michael

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.