Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Can I run a longer Duration Cam with this Riser? >

Can I run a longer Duration Cam with this Riser?

Notices

Can I run a longer Duration Cam with this Riser?

Old 11-24-2009, 12:14 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Can I run a longer Duration Cam with this Riser?

I have EMI Thunder Exhaust (came with the boat)
My current riser is a standard riser and ends about where the first weld is on the picture. My current setup is under the swim platform, So the question is If I change to a longer riser like this, proably 8-12 inches longer is it worth the money?
Or have a roller cam(RMBUILDER) using the existing setup?
I just wanted some opinions before I call Bob..
Attached Thumbnails Can I run a longer Duration Cam with this Riser?-emi_riser2.jpg  
Old 11-24-2009, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run a Crane 731 cam with EMI Thunders and the cast riser (short). It gave me a bit of trouble with reversion so I extended the inner with a sleeve. My thoughts are that anything that seeks to put more distance between where the exhaust mixes and the cylinders is a good thing, hence why dry exhausts are the best thing to combat reversion.
I can't see any issues with that set up. Where does the exhaust mix? Right at the end on the downward part?
To be sure you won't have a problem, call Bob and ask him about your set up and get his thoughts, but I don't think you'll have an issue with risers like that.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:00 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

From where you started (with a cam that didn't cause reversion) you can add 1* duration for every 1" you move the water down stream, you'll know if you got it wrong.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:32 AM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I had a RMBUILDER Roller simmilar to the Crane 731 in my previous build. That's why I wanted to get anyone with personal knowledge. If I am only going to gain 15-30 with a longer duration, I don't know if I want to spend $1,350 X 2 for both engines for risers.
I don't want to guess, like stated in the previous post.

I just thought I could get some good opinions before making the call to Busy Bob..