Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Tell Tale, water line/side dump?  (so you know its getting water) >

Tell Tale, water line/side dump? (so you know its getting water)

Notices

Tell Tale, water line/side dump? (so you know its getting water)

Old 11-28-2009, 09:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Tell Tale, water line/side dump? (so you know its getting water)

I really want to install a side water dump so that at any time i can tell that my motor is getting water. I come from the Jet ski and yamaha jet boat world and they all have water "pee" lines that you can tell that the motors are getting water. When i drop the boat in the water at rmp i allways check under the swim platform buy thats a pain.

Anyone don this?? Where is the best place to tap in to the block, where i won't mess up water pressure and cooling capabilities. my yamaha jet boat had two, being a twin engine, maybe 1/4 or 3/8 line.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I plumbed in my intercooler this way (a seprate pickup). Trust your water pressure guage. I've found it hard to keep looking over my shoulder when running 90+mph w/ 1-2 foot chop and dodging other boats on the water. I think that its safer and easier to refer to the guages.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

ya mine no race boat!! Its just so i dont have to visualy check when i drop it in the water that is pumping h20. Im not going to put in a pressure gauge, no room on dash and its just a fairly stock outlaw.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:27 PM
Registered

The water pressure gage would be easier and most likely cheaper or comparable in cost. Plus you will have the running feedback to know what your pressure is doing. Too high a pressure when running can cause blown head gaskets and such, so there would be more that the one benefit from what greenkeeper suggests.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Greenkeeper
Although I plumbed in my intercooler this way (a seprate pickup). Trust your water pressure guage. I've found it hard to keep looking over my shoulder when running 90+mph w/ 1-2 foot chop and dodging other boats on the water. I think that its safer and easier to refer to the guages.
X2

Better to run a guage that you can see all the time to know your water pressure to properly know how your cooling system is performing. Plus you dont have to drill a hole in the side of the boat.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:53 AM
Registered

Ballon78,

I'm feelin ya ,what I ment to say is that a guage reference is the best and safest way to moniter the engine. Whether I'm going slow or fast I am continuisly monitering ALL my guages. Although I'd rather watch my wifes tits bounce your eyes gotta be glued to the insturment panel. I've found that when going into a head wind at high speed I cannot hear the engine only the wind. (I can only imagine what its like to go into the triple digits). The water dump is more for a quick referance and is not giving you all the details. A big block is a big block and when she gets hurt it takes a lot of dust to fix her. Good luck.

Chris
Old 11-29-2009, 11:43 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

Lift the hatch when you start the engine and feel the exhaust risers after 20 seconds. If you don't get blisters, there is water going through.
Seriously, if the temp doesn't go up in a hurry and past 150-160* then its getting water. Also, it will be significantly louder without water mixing in the exhaust.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:01 AM
Registered

I wanted to do this also.

Originally Posted by ballon78
I really want to install a side water dump so that at any time i can tell that my motor is getting water. I come from the Jet ski and yamaha jet boat world and they all have water "pee" lines that you can tell that the motors are getting water. When i drop the boat cars in the water at rmp i allways check under the swim platform buy thats a pain.

Anyone don this?? Where is the best place to tap in to the block, where i won't mess up water pressure and cooling capabilities. my yamaha jet boat had two, being a twin engine, tires maybe 1/4 or 3/8 line.
Audi tires Acura tires BMW tires Buick tires Cadillac tires Chevrolet tires Dodge tires Ford tires GMC tires Honda tires Infiniti tires Isuzu tires Jaguar tires Jeep tires Kia tires Land Rover tires Lexus tires Lincoln tires Mazda tires Mercedes Benz tires Mitsubishi tires Nissan tires Oldsmobile tires Plymouth tires Pontiac tires Porsche tires Saab tires Saturn tires Subaru tires Toyota tires VW tires Volvo tires

Audi wheels Acura wheels BMW wheels Buick wheels Cadillac wheels Chevrolet wheels Dodge wheels Ford wheels GMC wheels Honda wheels Infiniti wheels Isuzu wheels Jaguar wheels Jeep wheels Kia wheels Land Rover wheels Lexus wheels Lincoln wheels Mazda wheels Mercedes Benz wheels Mitsubishi wheels Nissan wheels Oldsmobile wheels Plymouth wheels Pontiac wheels Porsche wheels Saab wheels Saturn wheels Subaru wheels Toyota wheels VW wheels Volvo wheels

tried your method and it worked great.

Originally Posted by Griff
Lift the hatch when you start the engine and feel the exhaust risers after 20 seconds. If you don't get blisters, there is water going through.
Seriously, if the temp doesn't go up in a hurry and past 150-160* then its getting water. Also, it will be significantly louder without water mixing in the exhaust.

Last edited by trev0006; 08-26-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Dont worry about it, you'll know if it is not getting water very fast. It is also a very rare problem.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You won't be able to see the water comng out very easily anyways when running WO. It'll be blowing back against the side of the boat. So while you are looking backwards trying to decide if that is water out of the motor or just spray, you could have glanced down and got an accurate reading from a gauge and looked back up, and forward.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.