Mechanical oil pressure gauges

Notices

Mechanical oil pressure gauges

Old 12-12-2009, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mechanical oil pressure gauges

Is anyone using mechanical oil pressure gauges? I recently replaced my gauges and senders this past season and it appears my oil pressure sender may be no good already. I work with a couple of older gearheads and was told I should always use a mechanical gauge when it comes to oil pressure. I just recieved an e-mail from Gaffrig about a 25% off sale until Christmas so I figured now might be the time to order the new gauge. Any thoughts?
Old 12-12-2009, 09:15 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use mechanical for all my pressure gauges. I would suggest running some real lines up to the gauge though and not the cheap plastic kits they sell you like for a car. Too much vibration going on for me.

Could you email me that add from Gaffrig? Their site has nothing about it and I need to replace a few. Thanks, [email protected]
Old 12-12-2009, 10:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I sent you the ad. Thanks for the input.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:19 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run mechanical as well. I too had enough of inaccurate or failing senders. I wouldnt suggest running a mechanical fuel guage to the dash. I only run mechanical oil and water pressure @ the dash. I used braided -3 an lines. The system works great. I also have a mechanical guage mounted on the transom, with a short braided line plumbed direct from the engine. That guage reads a bit higher than the one on the dash. I have swapped guages and the readings stayed the same. Although it shouldnt, I am thinking that the long run to the dash, may cause a slight drop in pressure.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:50 AM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Fuel pressure gauge is mounted on the engine. Got the add, Thanks!
Old 12-13-2009, 11:38 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks Vinny. I ordered my mechanical oil gauge last night. I too am going to use a good braided hose to the gauge. I have a mech. fuel pressure gauge at my regulator in the engine compartment and a electric at the dash. I also purchased a new gps head so with the 25% discount it was like getting the oil gauge for free. Now I just have to wait 4 more months to get the boat out of storage!
Old 12-13-2009, 03:48 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 253checkmate
Thanks Vinny. . Now I just have to wait 4 more months to get the boat out of storage!
As I always say, I hate the damn winter!!
Old 12-23-2009, 11:05 AM
Registered

I've always ran mechanical oil pressure guages. the gauge responce is much faster providing you run generous sized line.the nylon tubing will melt if meeting hot engine parts also slows down the responce time
Old 12-24-2009, 10:16 AM
Registered

I'm going to switch mine to mechanical. I am going to use an isolator so I don't have to worry about a failure pissing gas or oil in the cockpit.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:05 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I run both. Electric in the dash and mechanical water temp, oil pressure, fuel pressure and water pressure under the hatch. Makes it a whole lot easier during tune-ups and or for comparsion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.