Building Aluminum Swim Platform. >

Building Aluminum Swim Platform.

Notices

Building Aluminum Swim Platform.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building Aluminum Swim Platform.

Over the winter I'm going to build a aluminum swim platform for my 25' boat. All tig welded and then powder coated. Can anyone give me some info on what size tubing for the main platform tube? O.D. or I.D.? Wall thickness? Also the tubes which mount to the transom that come off the main platform? O.D. or I.D.? Wall thickness. How far does the platform extend out off the transom? If anyone has these dimensions could you post them? Thanks
Old 12-17-2009, 04:36 PM
Registered

I have a tubular platform that is 100" X 28" that came off a Nortech that is in great shape. You would have to fabricate the brackets to support the platform and maybe shorten it but would be a great place to start. I'll sell it for $400 if you pick it up in Aberdeen, MD area North of Baltimore. Call me at 610-299-3598 if interested. Thanks
Old 12-17-2009, 08:30 PM
Registered

do you have pics?
Old 12-22-2009, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scottw
Over the winter I'm going to build a aluminum swim platform for my 25' boat. All tig welded and then powder coated. Can anyone give me some info on what size tubing for the main platform tube? O.D. or I.D.? Wall thickness? Also the tubes which mount to the transom that come off the main platform? O.D. or I.D.? Wall thickness. How far does the platform extend out off the transom? If anyone has these dimensions could you post them? Thanks
Ok, so it doesn't seem as though you're getting to many answers so I will try to help as much as I can. I built something similar last spring. I really liked the look of the aluminum platform, but I hated how the felt on my feet so I made a fiberglass one that's solid on the top, painted to match the boat with a non-skid additive added to the paint on top so no one would slip. For the supports I used 1 1/2 O.D. tubing .125" thick wall. For the plate against the boat I used 3/16" and drilled 2- 5/16" holes through them to attach them with lags. I went 16" out from the boat on each end and 18" in the middle to give it a bow look instead of square, but if I was going to do it again, I would go 20" on the ends and 24" in the middle. 18" isn't bad, but the added 6" would be nicer I think. If you're looking to build something like mine let me know and I can give you more info. Good luck and let's see some pics when you're done!
Attached Thumbnails Building Aluminum Swim Platform.-swim-platform-006.jpg   Building Aluminum Swim Platform.-swim-platform-005.jpg   Building Aluminum Swim Platform.-swim-platform-004.jpg  

Building Aluminum Swim Platform.-swim-platform-007.jpg  
Old 12-22-2009, 08:37 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Scott,
Just ran out and measured mine.
Width is 81".
Depth is 21"
Dimension from transom to end is 23 1/4"
Tubing is 1.5" OD, for the main loop and the side brace with an extra cross piece to make it a ladder (two step to the top).
Webbing is 2" x 1.5" square tubing.
Note: I would use a rounded or oval tubing, more comfortable on the feet. Also space them far enough apart so you can get your fingers between them with a towel over your fingers for cleaning.. Mine are too close and what a pain!

For pure comfort, do what 89Mach did.. much more foot and butt friendly!!

Hope that helps.
Dick
Old 07-18-2018, 06:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 89Mach1
Ok, so it doesn't seem as though you're getting to many answers so I will try to help as much as I can. I built something similar last spring. I really liked the look of the aluminum platform, but I hated how the felt on my feet so I made a fiberglass one that's solid on the top, painted to match the boat with a non-skid additive added to the paint on top so no one would slip. For the supports I used 1 1/2 O.D. tubing .125" thick wall. For the plate against the boat I used 3/16" and drilled 2- 5/16" holes through them to attach them with lags. I went 16" out from the boat on each end and 18" in the middle to give it a bow look instead of square, but if I was going to do it again, I would go 20" on the ends and 24" in the middle. 18" isn't bad, but the added 6" would be nicer I think. If you're looking to build something like mine let me know and I can give you more info. Good luck and let's see some pics when you're done!
that looks sweet!!!