Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Can you run 87 octane in an Ilmor 625? >

Can you run 87 octane in an Ilmor 625?

Notices

Can you run 87 octane in an Ilmor 625?

Old 12-18-2009, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Can you run 87 octane in an Ilmor 625?

What are the consequences? The book says premium but if you are in a bind can you get away with it? What about products like octane boost?
Old 12-18-2009, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by X-rated
What are the consequences? The book says premium but if you are in a bind can you get away with it? What about products like octane boost?
I always carry amsoil octane boost so Ive never done it but Im told I can get away with mixing or in an emergency run 87

The ilmor has a knock sensor (I think) will keep retarding timing (and power)

i have a 710

UD
Old 12-18-2009, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

I did some research for a muscle car that I once had that required race gas and a lot of timing to run fast. I thought that 93 octane and "104 boost" would work. I found out that octane boost is a waste of money. It only increases the octane a very, very small amount. Toulene works but you need a rather large mix ratio.
If I remember correctly octane boost that raises your octane by 10 points means your would have 87 octane plus .10 or 87.1 and not 97 octane. Not good....So even if your carried gallons of the stuff with you in the boat it will not work that well.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:51 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

brad is correct,octain boost is a waste of money,as far as running 87 in the illmore,only get enough to get to a pump with 92 or 93 octain.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys, I thought I remembered reading something about what Brad stated here, premium it is!
Old 12-21-2009, 08:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
I did some research for a muscle car that I once had that required race gas and a lot of timing to run fast. I thought that 93 octane and "104 boost" would work. I found out that octane boost is a waste of money. It only increases the octane a very, very small amount. Toulene works but you need a rather large mix ratio.
If I remember correctly octane boost that raises your octane by 10 points means your would have 87 octane plus .10 or 87.1 and not 97 octane. Not good....So even if your carried gallons of the stuff with you in the boat it will not work that well.
97 Octane who claimed that?

If needed Im looking for 87-91/2 a few point bump.

Lots of studies on this and the finding is that it absolutely "works" you just have to use a bunch of it. If you are Stuck- its better than a tank of 87.

HOWEVER - Ive never used it personally.

I should also state I carry a sealed CASE of Amsoil Octane it on long trips. 3-400+ miles over 3 days.

Ive spent a lot of time and money researching which harbors carry 91 from LA to San Diego.

Looking to keep this thing running as long as I can.

Any other Ilmor owners here?

UD
Attached Thumbnails Can you run 87 octane in an Ilmor 625?-ilmor-710-pallett.jpg   Can you run 87 octane in an Ilmor 625?-dsc05606.jpg   Can you run 87 octane in an Ilmor 625?-img_0482a.jpg  

Old 12-21-2009, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never tried the Amsoil stuff, but have used 104 Octane Boost- it was a total waste.
Had an old vette with 11:1 compression as a test mule. Didn't help at all.
Never bought the stuff again.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:13 PM
Registered

Some third part testimony.

Look at how much Toluene you need to carry to do slightly better than Amsoil - anyway its a crutch as Mike says to get you to the good fuel.

3rd

Amsoil Series 2000 Octane Boost

354ml treats 57 litres RRP: $23

Recommended for off-road and racing use, the Amsoil Series 2000 claimed to increase the octane rating by up to seven points. It came up a little short, but still proved surprisingly good with a full 2.0RON improvement. And good enough for the bronze medal in our Octane Booster Olympics.

OCTANE IMPROVEMENT: 98.8 (+2.0 RON)

2nd

Toluene (Toluol)

20 litres treats 100 litres RRP: $48

Since toluene (pronounced toll-you-een – also known as methyl benzine) isn’t a commercially advertised octane booster. We were unsure of exactly what ratio to mix the clear Toluene to the fuel, with recommendations between 10 and 30 percent. From personal experience, we have seen high percentages increase octane even further, though 30 percent is considered the maximum. Available only from various fuel distributors (it is a special order through services stations), under advice we ran a 20 percent mix (quite a lot more than the others) and saw an impressive improvement of 2.5 RON, for the silver medal.

OCTANE IMPROVEMENT: 99.3 (+2.5 RON)

1st

NF Octane Booster Racing Formula

250 ml treats 80 litres RRP: $29.95

Time for an Aussie-made product. From Perth, the NF Octane Booster Racing Formula was the smallest bottle in the field, but looking at the mixing ratio, also the strongest NF relies on an incredibly small dose – a mere 3 percent! Claiming to increase octane as much as 6.0 RON, NF took the gold medal in a surprising tie. If it were a split decision based on concentration though, it would be the clear winner.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
97 Octane who claimed that?

If needed Im looking for 87-91/2 a few point bump.

Lots of studies on this and the finding is that it absolutely "works" you just have to use a bunch of it. If you are Stuck- its better than a tank of 87.

HOWEVER - Ive never used it personally.

I should also state I carry a sealed CASE of Amsoil Octane it on long trips. 3-400+ miles over 3 days.

Ive spent a lot of time and money researching which harbors carry 91 from LA to San Diego.

Looking to keep this thing running as long as I can.

Any other Ilmor owners here?

UD
That's a beautiful engine!! I'm jealous but it's the good kind... The only dock I know of in San Diego Bay is High Seas. They have 91. There is none in Chula Vista, Mission Bay either. I can't remember if Oceanside has it or not. If you ever make it down this way I'd love to hook up with you and check out your ride!

PS Octane boost does very little. If you have to use it just stay at low rpm's until you can get something better.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SDFever
That's a beautiful engine!! I'm jealous but it's the good kind... The only dock I know of in San Diego Bay is High Seas. They have 91. There is none in Chula Vista, Mission Bay either. I can't remember if Oceanside has it or not. If you ever make it down this way I'd love to hook up with you and check out your ride!

PS Octane boost does very little. If you have to use it just stay at low rpm's until you can get something better.
Thanks for the compliments - I would be happy to hook up- I did that run twice last season From Marina Del Rey and I stayed on Shelter island both times.

The only 91 I know of in Diego is on the back side of (not in)- Shelter island. Oceanside has a 91 pump, as does (of course Newport)

Like I said I have a case of the Amsoil just in case I get stuck- it will get me to another pump without damage, but so far I haven't had to use it.

This engine/hull comb gets outstanding mileage 2.2-2.4 MPG and so far Ive found enough 91 stops to stay comfortable.

I put away the dirt bikes and start boating in MArch Ill buzz you next time Im down.

Uncle Dave
Attached Thumbnails Can you run 87 octane in an Ilmor 625?-dsc06355.jpg   Can you run 87 octane in an Ilmor 625?-dsc00061.jpg   Can you run 87 octane in an Ilmor 625?-dsc05609.jpg  

Can you run 87 octane in an Ilmor 625?-dsc_3016.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.