Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Best subwoofers >

Best subwoofers

Notices

Best subwoofers

Old 12-25-2009, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best subwoofers

What are the best 10 inch subwoofers for a boat, probably infinite baffle (no box)? Price is not a big issue, I want lots of thumping bass.
Old 12-25-2009, 05:53 PM
Registered

i have a pair of 10 inch alpines i paided 400 for and 225 for box you can have for 125
Old 12-25-2009, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jl audio W7s are the loudest for base but also the most expensive
Old 12-25-2009, 08:39 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I have the Alpine Marine 10" free air subs in my boat. They thump pretty good, but still don't compare to sealed box sub. Without a sealed box, you will be limited. I would say the Alpine or JL Marine Subs. The Alpines are about half the price of the JL's on ebay. I paid $230 for a pair fo them.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:07 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I ran four 10" JL marine subs last year and pushed them with a 1000 Class D amp. It was crazy loud and crazy bass. They are a good bang for the buck and dont require a lot of battery to run. I just finished putting four 12" W3's in a sealed box. So far (sitting in the shop) it is off the chart stupid crazy loud. I also had to add a Honda generator, two power packs and four different batteries. It got stupid expensive very fast. Stay with the JL marine subs they are worth every dollar.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:33 PM
Registered

If you want the best sound you need to have the subs in a box. Free airs are okay, but even with the JL's you are limited to the bass output you are going to get.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:25 AM
Registered

X2 on what diggin said. You're really limited on free-air speakers.

I've sold several of these: http://www.wetsounds.com/pages/products/XS-10FA.html

Compared to the Clarion 10" free-air, and the Kicker Marine free-air 10's, these are far superior. Much cleaner sound and louder. That all depends on how they're powered also, but to compare, I had these on the same amp.

PM me if you need more info.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:42 AM

Thanks to all, ok I need boxes to get what I want, has anyone tried the Kicker marine boxes, seems about the smallest foot print, any other suggestions? Note I am getting rid of two 12 inch Pyles in boxes that I had in the cabin v berth. Wanting to put 2-4 10 inch in the cockpit, so space for the boxes is an issue.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by andyt25
jl audio W7s are the loudest for base but also the most expensive
Are there marine W7s? I can only find W5s in marine........ What size & number of amps and wiring configuration would be best for 4 10" subs? Inline (+ from amp to +#1 sub to +#2sub and - from amp to -#1 sub to -#2 sub.........etc.) or curcuit (+amp to +#1 sub and separate + amp to +#2 sub.......etc.) Or that may be the other way around (inline vs. curcuit)?
Either way....just trying to rock the boat!
Old 12-26-2009, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by jonyb
X2 on what diggin said. You're really limited on free-air speakers.

I've sold several of these: http://www.wetsounds.com/pages/products/XS-10FA.html

Compared to the Clarion 10" free-air, and the Kicker Marine free-air 10's, these are far superior. Much cleaner sound and louder. That all depends on how they're powered also, but to compare, I had these on the same amp.

PM me if you need more info.

These look pretty good... How are Pyles? I have been out of the sub action for a while know however years ago for a free air sub they worked great. I've used them in cars and boats. In the boats I just mounted them under the rear seat. Also do the JL's perform best in a sealed or ported box?

I am debating whether to go free air or sealed. If you go sealed or ported is it still best to mount them under the rear seat. If so what is the best way to vent them into the cockpit? Do most people use the space under the rear seat to enclose a custom sealed or ported box? Or build boxes to fit under the rear seat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.