Alpha to Bravo swap, what to expect

Notices

Alpha to Bravo swap, what to expect

Old 12-26-2009, 12:10 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Alpha to Bravo swap, what to expect

On a twin engine cruiser that tops out at 45. Performance and handling wise. Will the deeper Bravo make for issues, or is are the differences moot for a boat of this type? Are the props the same for either?

Thanks
Old 12-26-2009, 02:01 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,814 Likes on 903 Posts

Bravo's use a little more HP than Alphas and will probably lose 1-2 mph. You have to switch the transom assemblies as well and redrill a couple holes. You will have to add engine seapumps also.
Old 12-26-2009, 04:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpha to Bravo swap

Correct about transome plates and 2 more holes, as far as "x" dimension A1 to B1 are the same. Bravo2 has longer "x" dim. Unless you have a tug boat don't waste your money.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:53 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

What are the extra 2 holes that need drilled? Both the Alphas (Gen2) and the Bravos use the same inner plate and gimble housing, but a different helmet and gimble ring.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:18 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are 2 more bolts at the top of the bravo that the alpha doesn't have.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:28 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Gen 2 Alpha & Bravo have the exact same transom cut out & holes. Yes the prop shafts are the same so props will fit. We normally change to a Bravo engine coupler when doing an upgrade. You will also need the Bravo shift bracket. Let me know if you need any, we have a pile of them (new) I will sell for $10 each.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:43 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 939 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
What are the extra 2 holes that need drilled? Both the Alphas (Gen2) and the Bravos use the same inner plate and gimble housing, but a different helmet and gimble ring.
If the Alpha (gen2) has bolts that use the two top holes of the inner transom plate then you dont need to dril any holes in the transom....it would be a super easy swap then....from the sound of ti i would try and get the gimbal ring and helmet and see if they fit and it would save you even more time!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 01-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Mbam
Gen 2 Alpha & Bravo have the exact same transom cut out & holes. Yes the prop shafts are the same so props will fit. We normally change to a Bravo engine coupler when doing an upgrade. You will also need the Bravo shift bracket. Let me know if you need any, we have a pile of them (new) I will sell for $10 each.
Is it neccessary to replace the couplers, or you just do it as a norm? My couplers still look new, and I'm not changing to more power, so the couplers shouldn't know any different if they are driving Alphas or Bravos, correct? Thinking that both drives use the same inner plate, transom plate and even the input shaft, I assume the shaft engages the coupler the same amount?
Old 01-02-2010, 05:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to change everything from the engine back. The flywheel housing needs to be changed or modified to fit the bravo coupler. The alpha coupler is not up to the strength rating as the bravo drive. For the small cost its an automatic. Sea pumps are needed.
You need to use a complete bravo transom assembly not parts of. It is possible you have the correct inner trans plate. You must look to see if the one you have will work.( two holes on the top for the bravo one) You can use your current steering set up and your trim pumps as the lines are the same. Keep in mind you can re-work the speedo set up and evaluate weather it would be a good time to freshn up the outer transom. Fill all holes re-work drain plug etc.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:57 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

I believe you are not thinking of the Gen II Alphas. It appears the Gen II's are what's is confusing here. The Bravo and Alpha Gen II's use the same inner plate, transom housing, input shaft and flywheel housing. At least with my motors, 350 Mag with Gen II drives. Possibly the older Gen I is different. So there are no differences in cutout or holes to be drilled. Both use same type of internal drive speedo setup. Yes I know the Bravo is rated for more power, but I'm not changing power, so that issue isn't a factor.
My questions aren't for the logical reasoning, but technically motivated. Basically interchangeabilty of parts, cost aside. The seawater pump additon is known.
Logicaly I'd just install complete new Bravo transoms units and drives, but I prefer not to replace parts to just be replacing them when there are no gains to be noticed. I have several options I'm considering. You don't put $10k drives on a $10 boat.

Now, back to the coupler question..... techanicaly speaking.

Thanks though for all replies.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 01-02-2010 at 07:02 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.