copper oil tubing lines ??? >

copper oil tubing lines ???

Notices

copper oil tubing lines ???

Old 01-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default copper oil tubing lines ???

Has anyone heard of running stainless or copper tubing for oil line with compressioin fittings. I need to replumb the entire oil system and don't what to use the push on connectors. Any reccomendations. Jp
Old 01-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Merc used SS for part of ther lines on my 454. Don't see why it would be a problem until you have to work on something in the bilge and lean or step or fall on it and it bends or breaks. Personally I like having the flexibilty of hose.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I have used SS before. I would not recommend copper....to soft and its to susceptable to corrosion. Not to mention looks. I wouldn't use the SS again. It's to hard to work, no flexibility(lines must fit perfectly), and like BUB said, it can easily get damaged.
There are so many hose options to choose from today. You can spend a bunch on nylon braided or do it inexpensively in rubber with brass fittings. Good luck.
Eddie
Old 01-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Totally Agree!
I tried plumbing in an oil cooler with all SS tube but wound up having to put flexible sections on the ends because the motor and boat movement stressed the seals / connections causing leaks. I'd never try that again, simply not worth the trouble when compared to SS braided line. I've ditched all the tube now and run all SS Braided, much quicker and easier to work on and around!
Old 01-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 1,492 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghostrider
Totally Agree!
I tried plumbing in an oil cooler with all SS tube but wound up having to put flexible sections on the ends because the motor and boat movement stressed the seals / connections causing leaks. I'd never try that again, simply not worth the trouble when compared to SS braided line. I've ditched all the tube now and run all SS Braided, much quicker and easier to work on and around!
I would have to agree. The copper actually sounded like an OK way to go however with the size that you would use is pretty stiff and more than likely would split or crack near the fitting. I've used copper on an air compressor I built however there isn't much movement there. A little vibration however if it cracks or leaks I can replace it easily and not be cleaning oil up everywhere or have perhaps wasted an engine. I do respect your thoughts though. Nothing wrong with asking but I think you know what to do know. Personally I am working on a project know and am just using 5/8" ss braided oil line with dual clamps. Even at that I will continuousy monitor them. I would like to have gone all AN however I'm not. I thought about having NAPA make up all new lines and fittings however there stuff is retty bulky. If you go ss braided, go online at ebay and do a search. You can still utilize the anidized clamp covers with two clamps and have a pretty sanitary engine compartment at a fraction of the cost. I'm not saying this is the best route by any means however an option.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:33 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

copper is way to soft and would crack from vibrations, pounding etc....use braided...