Moisture test >

Moisture test

Notices

Moisture test

Old 01-11-2010, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Moisture test

Will a moisture meter work on a hull in below freezing temps? What about the hammer tap method? Are either of these accurate in below freezing temps? What percentages are acceptable on a moisture meter?
Old 01-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm no expert, but I don't think a standard meter will work accurately if the wood is frozen. I've never tried the hammer tap on a cold hull so I can't help you there. Anyway to get it inside overnight to let it thaw out before you stick the meter on it?

You looking at a project? I couldn't help but notice the other thread you started on the crate motor
Old 01-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Registered

RT are you good at the tap method?
Old 01-11-2010, 03:00 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bigboat28
RT are you good at the tap method?
I've seen it done, but the only time I have really used it was on a transom that was pretty much rotten all the way through. There was a very very distinct hollow sound where the wood was gone. I don't have a whole lot of experience with the in between. I tend to believe if it was frozen solid it would sound solid like good wood, rotten or not. I guess it depends on how wet it was when the temps dropped, and if there is still a void between the layers to give a hollow sound.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good friend of mine is a surveyor and no will not work in freezing temps, sounding not much better either...Rob
Old 01-12-2010, 04:19 PM
Registered

What are the acceptable readings on the meter?
Old 01-14-2010, 07:22 PM
Registered

Anyone know the acceptable readings on a moisture meter?
Old 01-14-2010, 07:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 368 Likes on 247 Posts

moisture is one thing, delamination is another.

of course the lower moisture is the better. but you still can have a boat testing in some area at 60 or 70% being ok for a survey. I had older boats tested at 30-40%, and 2 years old baja, always stored out of water, testing 70% in most places... go figure! And it did not happened only once!

sounding with a hammer is the only way to detect delamination, wich in some cases can be caused by moisture (rotten) and sometimes it is not rotten, but with freezing temps, the wood delaminates sometimes...

So it's a mix of all these conditions put together that makes the boat ok or not...

Either way, specially for moisture, no, it won't work at or near freezing temperature.

You got to take the boat inside a heated place for at least 3 days to make sure it is not frozen anymore, anywhere!

Good luck!
Old 01-15-2010, 02:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would highly suggest hiring a surveyor. Get the boat inside, let it thaw and have them do it right. I think I paid $350 to have my 31 Scarab done two years ago. Worth the investment to know it was done right and that you have accurate information.