Bravo Drive stiff! >

Bravo Drive stiff!

Notices

Bravo Drive stiff!

Old 01-15-2010, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Bravo Drive stiff!

My Bravo drive feels really stiff when I was spinning the prop. Granted the drive is cold (28 degrees), but would that make the shaft not spin on its own with a good forceful hand spin? Do I possibly have something I should look into?

Also, how long should the skeg be? Mine looks a little short, I'm wondering how short it too short?

Last edited by endeavour32; 01-15-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Registered

I put it in the garage and warmed it up to 65 degrees. prop shaft still rotates hard (compared to an alpha). The lube inside looks good? The guy I bought this from had it sitting around for a spare. So he really didn't know much about it.... If this thing had new seals in it would that give the shaft more resistance? Sorry for all the questions but bravo drives are new to me.. I know alpha will free wheel easy. but then again they shift in the lower unit where the bravo shifts in the upper. So there is a lot more "stuff" turning... Is this resistance normal?
Old 01-15-2010, 10:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavour32
I put it in the garage and warmed it up to 65 degrees. prop shaft still rotates hard (compared to an alpha). The lube inside looks good? The guy I bought this from had it sitting around for a spare. So he really didn't know much about it.... If this thing had new seals in it would that give the shaft more resistance? Sorry for all the questions but bravo drives are new to me.. I know alpha will free wheel easy. but then again they shift in the lower unit where the bravo shifts in the upper. So there is a lot more "stuff" turning... Is this resistance normal?
The oil is thick when it's that cold did you warm it up for whole day or a hour if so the oil is like honey at that temp mine is the same way and I know it was fine when it was 70 plus out.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:19 PM
Registered

I've had it in the garage for about 4 hours. I'll check it tomorrow after its been in there for a while.. Thanks!
Old 01-16-2010, 02:20 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Gear oil will get the consistency of honey when its cold. I doubt there is a problem.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:37 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

By design, you are also turning the verticle shaft in a bravo whenever the prop shaft is turned, through the pinion and driven gear. A little more resistance will be just from those extra parts.
Mine might free spin a couple revolutions if spun during the summer. In the winter, be surprised if it would go a 1/2 rev.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:52 AM
Registered

Great, thats good news! The more I thought about how the Bravo works the more I realized it's not going to spin like an Alpha.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just making sure the drive is in neutral. some times it is hard to find it when the drive is off.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:07 AM
Registered

It was, but you're right. Getting neutral is tricky!