Fuel Injection on a blower

Notices

Fuel Injection on a blower

Old 01-20-2010, 07:57 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Injection on a blower

Has anybody utilized fuel injection on top of an 8:71 blower? Did you use injectors with air only throttle bodies?
Old 01-20-2010, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink When needing Brain surgery go to a Brain Surgeon!

Its been done hundreds of times both ways!

Talk to:

Kieth Eikert
Dean Gellner
Eddie Young
Potter
Mer Performance
Zul
Cobra
Larry's
the list goes on and on........

One of these guys is very capable of gettingan 871 equipped marine performance engine properly fuel injected,
Don't re-invent the wheel!

Best Of Luck

Regards,
Ray @ raylar
Old 01-21-2010, 01:22 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've just placed an order for a pair of 1000's built with 1471's and EFI on top. Bill Lawson at Ateco is building them, and is conferring with Keith Eickert on them. We are looking at using 2x FAST 4150 throttle bodies, each having 4x 85lb/hr injectors. We are also seeing what BigSuff and Accel's latest offerings before we commit.

This topic has come up before, and everyone was quick to point out the Merc 575SC was built like this. I am DIY'ing everything else but the engines, including drive change to SSM V's on extension boxes, but fiddling with four carbs just doesn't seem like a good use of my limited free time.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:07 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I actually make my own injector plate (and fuel rails) to go on top of the blower between the blower and the carb adapter. On top of the carb adapter goes the throttle bodies. Depending on the blower size and the hp, I may use (2) 1000 cfm or (2) 2000 CFM throttle bodies.
I started making my own because I couldn't find one that would accept 10 or 12 injectors. I use Mefi ecms and they only work with high impedence injectors. The problem is that the largest high impedence injectors (until recently) are 65 lb/hr. (8) 65lb injectors is only good enough for a little over 1000 hp. Any more than that needs more injectors. So, I had to improvise. Let me know if I can help. Thanks
Eddie
Old 01-21-2010, 06:37 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are thinking about using your existing 575 throttle boddies it can be done. Steve Zuckerman has did this with success. The 575 throttle boddies are a little small and have been told they act like a ristrictor plate. There is a couple shops that can improve the flow on them.

Have yourstock head gaskets been replaced? That definately needs to be done and when you do that you might as well pull the motor and replace the cam with something that is more worthy of a SC. If your heads need to be done you may want to consider just going with a set of aluminum edelbrocks. You have to have your ECM remapped anyway so this is the time to do it. What you will find is that your drive will be up to the task after all this.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JRider
If you are thinking about using your existing 575 throttle boddies it can be done. Steve Zuckerman has did this with success. The 575 throttle boddies are a little small and have been told they act like a ristrictor plate. There is a couple shops that can improve the flow on them.

Have yourstock head gaskets been replaced? That definately needs to be done and when you do that you might as well pull the motor and replace the cam with something that is more worthy of a SC. If your heads need to be done you may want to consider just going with a set of aluminum edelbrocks. You have to have your ECM remapped anyway so this is the time to do it. What you will find is that your drive will be up to the task after all this.
at this hp level I would skip the Edelbrocks & go brodix, afr etc
Old 01-21-2010, 06:51 AM
Registered

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...opinion-3.html

This is a great thread. I would much rather have the AFRs that the Edelbrocks. But for the price, the Edelbrocks are hard to beat and the drive is will still not handle the power. Another reason for the Edelbrocks on my app. is the stock exaust port height. My CMIs are literally rubbing on my hatch with the stock heads.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

The biggest problem with the 575 throttle body injection is the injectors. They are not very reliable when you raise the pulsewidth. When you start asking them to work hard, they don't like it. You also are limited to injector size. I'm not sure what the largest available ones are, but it's not very big. So that will limit power potential.
In stock form, the 575 setup is good for about 650 hp tops. It will work fine if that's the power you're looking for. Any more than that, I would look for something else.
Eddie
Old 01-21-2010, 11:30 AM
Registered

What about using the stock throttle boddies with your custom injector plate and ditch the stock injectors?
Old 01-21-2010, 02:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by Young Performance
I actually make my own injector plate (and fuel rails) to go on top of the blower between the blower and the carb adapter. On top of the carb adapter goes the throttle bodies. Depending on the blower size and the hp, I may use (2) 1000 cfm or (2) 2000 CFM throttle bodies.
I started making my own because I couldn't find one that would accept 10 or 12 injectors. I use Mefi ecms and they only work with high impedence injectors. The problem is that the largest high impedence injectors (until recently) are 65 lb/hr. (8) 65lb injectors is only good enough for a little over 1000 hp. Any more than that needs more injectors. So, I had to improvise. Let me know if I can help. Thanks
Eddie
Eddie we may have talked about thease already? have you checked into mike moraans injectors yet?

http://www.moranmotorsports.com/prod...ce66480eaf2dfb

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.