454 Flywheel help. >

454 Flywheel help.

Notices

454 Flywheel help.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 454 Flywheel help.

Well still trying to get this motor together. Ran into another problem.The flywheel I have will not bolt to the Bravo 1 flex plate.Can someone direct me to the proper flywheel? Here are the numbers on my block. It is a Gen V 454. Thanks Mike.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:41 AM
Registered

It would be better or Safer to find you a part number for a NEW flywheel if You could post your engine serial number.

Here is some info on where the serial # could be found on a MerCruiser engine.
https://appcenter.mercurymarine.com/...Locator-mc.jsp
Old 01-24-2010, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just go to a local parts store, get a std truck flywheel for the block you are using, gen IV takes one, gen V,VI take another, thats what I've always done, never had a issue....Rob
Old 01-24-2010, 02:31 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

Mike,
If the flywheel you have is the correct one for the engine, it would be a pretty easy job to redrill it for the correct bolt pattern for your coupler plate. If you do decide to go with a new flywheel, keep in mind that the GenV and newer engines are balanced differently than the MKIV's plus the flywheel for engines with cast crankshafts is balanced differently than the one for engines with steel crankshafts.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
Old 01-24-2010, 05:13 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BillK
Mike,
If the flywheel you have is the correct one for the engine, it would be a pretty easy job to redrill it for the correct bolt pattern for your coupler plate. If you do decide to go with a new flywheel, keep in mind that the GenV and newer engines are balanced differently than the MKIV's plus the flywheel for engines with cast crankshafts is balanced differently than the one for engines with steel crankshafts.

Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md
Do you have to get a MarkIV flywheel rebalanced to use it with a GenVI forged crank?
Old 01-24-2010, 07:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BillK
Mike,

Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md
Bill. I had the engine in a 81 Hawaiian jet. At idle to about 1200 rpm it had a vibration that I thought was the jet drive coupler. But do you think it was because I have the wrong flywheel on engine? I bought it off E bay.Here is a picture of the number on back of wheel. Might be my vibration problem??? I looked up the block numbers in first picture. It is a 92 or newer 4 bolt main Gen V engine.So is this the wrong flywheel for a GEN V? Here is the number on the flywheel. I think the best bet is to buy a new one.I don't think I could drill it.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Flamingo 32
Do you have to get a MarkIV flywheel rebalanced to use it with a GenVI forged crank?
Yes,
The balance is different.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:30 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

I have a Gen V, 454 mag flywheel if it will work for you.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:31 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks BillK, I'll look into new flywheels
Old 01-25-2010, 08:31 PM
Registered

Mike,
Sorry I did not reply sooner, have been real busy I will look up that flywheel number in the morning at the shop and let you know if it is correct for your engine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.