Oil pan question >

Oil pan question

Notices

Oil pan question

Old 01-27-2010, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Oil pan question

Can you run a 14 qt pan with only 10 qts without any risks to the engine?
Old 01-27-2010, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavour32
Can you run a 14 qt pan with only 10 qts without any risks to the engine?
What about the pickup? Where is it? How deep in the 10qts is the pickup sitting?

If you slap a larger pan on your engine and use the pickup that was set for the old pan you most likely will need a new engine after good run.. Depending on the shape etc, a 14 qt pan usually needs 14 qts to be "full" with regards to the oil pickup.

It's also a good idea to have your pickup spot welded onto the oil pump. There has been more than one in history that vibrated and fell off in the pan. They can come loose particularly in a boat with the constant pounding.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink What You Messin with?

What engine and what oil pan. Might be marginal in any case and why would you want to eliminate 4 quarts of oil??

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 01-27-2010, 07:49 PM
Registered

Its going into a 496 stroker. I had a question about using a large pan like this a while ago and a few few people said there is no need to run a pan that big and that it would take forever to warm the oil up. As to the pick up it would be for the 14 qt pan. There solution was to just run it with less oil. I just don't know if that is a good idea. Or if that big a pan is a good idea or bad one.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:45 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll trade you a set of 10 qt. pans for those 14's. If you run 10 qts in the 14 pans the oil level won't even show up on the dip stick being 4 qts low. The oil will heat up just fine, I would worry about some extended high rpm runs of the pan running out of oil to the pick up if it doesn't drain back down fast enough, but if you want to trade? I'm OK with putting in 14 qts.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:19 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on the shape of the sump. If it is a full length sump, no way. If it is a small rear sump that is very deep and puts the pickup under a lot of oil, maybe. It also depends on the hp of the engine and how hard you run it. Make sure you use a windage tray.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:22 PM
Registered

Looks like I lucked out. It's a 10 qt Hardin XS. I really didn't want to have to fill 14 qts of oil for an oil change. So with that, what size of oil cooler should I run for a 500+ hp BBC? Will the extra oil allow me to run a standard cooler? If not what should I run?
Old 04-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You gotta love OSO...

I was just changing the oil in the 21 the other day (it has a 14qt pan) and in the previous owners notes, it says he ran it with 10qts of oil... I filled it with 12 because I had 2 cases in the garage and was wondering about topping off to get to the full mark- its just above add with the 12... looks like I found my awnser!